Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

YavuzDuran
Helper III
Helper III

Daily csv file s to be added with Today's Date

Hi all,

I have a list of Accounts being updated daily and I want to keep a log of Status Change for each Account

ie. I have 500 accounts today, with 200 of them Active

Tomorrow it will be 550 Accounts, with 220 of them Active.

And I want to keep a log of these Active Accounts on a daily basis

If I can put a dynamic date (today's date) on the CSV file updated today and tomorrow's date onto the file which will be updated tomorrow I can find these logs of Status Change 

The problem is today's date (as a column) should not be changed tomorrow, it should stay as today's date. 

and tomorrow's file will keep tomorrow's date as a column in tomorrow's file

I will merge each day's file 

so then I will be able to see the daily status numbers

Is there any way to do this?

Thank you 

5 REPLIES 5
YavuzDuran
Helper III
Helper III

Yes, I checked and added today's date on filename

ie. AccountsCollecting08-25-2021

This CSV file has 11 columns so

What is next?

How can I add 8-25-2021 as the 12th column in Power Query, or Desktop (calculated column)

In Power Query when you list the contents of the folder you see the file names as a column.  At that point create a custom column that extracts the date from the file name, and another custom column that extracts the file contents into a table field.  Then expand the table field and choose all desired columns.

Don't use the "Combine binary"  option - that will not preserve the other columns.

Hmmm. these files are not in a folder on my Desktop, they are at Sharepoint

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The date can also be part of the file name or attributes, not necessarily the actual data.  I assume you have a Folder connector that ingests all the csv files in the folder.  As part of the Power Query you can extract the file date attribute and add it as an extra column to your  resulting table.

Let me dig in more the folder features. I will update you here. Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.