Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chamue329
Helper II
Helper II

Daily change rate with multiple customers

Hi,

I have a table with customer sales by date and I need to calculate the daily change and % change (example image below). Is it better to add these two columns in Power Query or create DAX measures?  I've been scouring the message boards but can't seem to find a solution for this scenario. 

CustomerDateRunning SalesDaily Chg% Daily Chg
A3/2/202010--
A3/3/20202515150%
A3/4/2020401560%
A3/5/20209757143%
B3/2/2020100--
B3/3/20201202020%
B3/4/20201907058%
B3/5/20202203016%
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@chamue329 

DAX is appropriate solution foryour task.

try create a measures

Daily Chg = 
var _prevDate = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Customer]) && 'Table'[Date]<SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Date])))
RETURN
IF(ISBLANK(_prevDate), BLANK(),
SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Running Sales])-CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Running Sales]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Customer]) && 'Table'[Date]=_prevDate)))

and

% Daily Chg = 
var _prevDate = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Customer]) && 'Table'[Date]<SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Date])))
RETURN
DIVIDE(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Running Sales]), CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Running Sales]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Customer]) && 'Table'[Date]=_prevDate))) - 1)

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This should be basically the same as MTBF - See my article on Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) which uses EARLIER: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Mean-Time-Between-Failure-MTBF-and-Power-BI/ba-p/3395...

In your case:

Daily Chg =
  VAR __Current = [Running Sales]
  VAR __PreviousDate = 
    MAXX(
      FILTER(
        'Table',
        [Customer] = EARLIER([Customer]) &&
        [Date] < EARLIER([Date])
      ),
      [Date]
    )
  VAR __Previous = 
     MAXX(FILTER('Table',[Customer = EARLIER([Customer]) && [Date] = __PreviousDate),[RunningSales])
RETURN
  __Current - __Previous

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@chamue329 

DAX is appropriate solution foryour task.

try create a measures

Daily Chg = 
RETURN
SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Running Sales])-CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Running Sales]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Customer]) && 'Table'[Date]=_prevDate)))

and

% Daily Chg = 
RETURN
DIVIDE(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Running Sales]), CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Running Sales]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Customer]) && 'Table'[Date]=_prevDate))) - 1)

LinkedIn

@az38 This works perfectly.  I was able to trend this out on a line chart and both measures display.  I have a follow-up question, in my table structure there is also a State column. When I add a second filter to my line chart to view it by State, it won't render. Is this simply some chart settings in Power BI to render the visual properly or am I stuck having to create a second set of measures if I wanted to generate for the aggregate of customers by State?  Here's my table field with State included:

StateCustomerDateRunning SalesDaily Chg% Daily Chg
CAA3/2/202010--
CAA3/3/20202515150%
CAA3/4/2020401560%
CAA3/5/20209757143%
CAB3/2/2020100--
CAB3/3/20201202020%
CAB3/4/20201907058%
CAB3/5/20202203016%

Perhaps a change in the DAX syntax to dynamically adjust to the filter selection (State or Customer) if that is feasible?

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@chamue329 

in my solution it would be like 

Daily Chg = 
var _prevDate = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Customer],'Table'[State]), 'Table'[Date] < SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Date])))
RETURN
SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Running Sales]) - CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Running Sales]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Customer], 'Table'[State]),  'Table'[Date]=_prevDate)))

LinkedIn

@az38  Thanks for the modification - however I'm getting all negative numbers when I filter to States.  It works fine when I have the Customer column included, but once I remove and only look at my table by State, it gets messed up.  One clarification - I don't have rows in my tables that aggregate the State records.  I placed them in my example table for illustration.  I don't know if this will make a difference in your syntax.

Running Sales with daily changeRunning Sales with daily change

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.