Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VS-DF

DOLLARFR Function not converting to whole numbers

I am pretty much a Power BI newbie, exploring and figuring things out as I go along. I have a measure which uses the DOLLARFR function to represent data as a fractional notation - in this case thirds. This works amazingly in general but on occasion it fails to convert 3 thirds into a whole number i.e. data shows up as 5.3 (5 and 3 thirds) instead of 6?

I have a column [OutCount] populated with count data and divided by 3 so that a decimal value is available and each "count" is 0.3333...

I then have the following measure to sum that decimal data and convert into fractional notations:

Fraction = DOLLARFR(sum('Table'[OutCount]),3)

This gives the following outputs - representing the decimals as fractions (in this case thirds):
6.667 = 6.2
1.667 = 1.2
5.333 = 5.1
0.333 = 0.1

In most cases this presents the correct data in my dashboard. But in certain instances it does not. For example:
6.000 is presented as 5.3. Which is technically correct (5 and 3 thirds), but should be presented as 6.0.

Does anyone know why this is happening or what I may need to do differently?

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

This looks like it's probably a rounding issue, I suspect the 5.3 is actually just under 5.3 by a version small fraction. See the following test data:

d_gosbell_0-1608523294001.png

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @VS-DF 

I tested the measure Fraction. It is working perfectly.  When I use DOLLARFR(6.000,3) it gives me 6.0

My guess is the sum(sum('Table'[OutCount]) is evaluating to 5.999 which when used with the Fraction measure it evaluates to 5.3.

See if you can round the SUM(Table(Count) ) before passing it to Fraction measure.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.