Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DMTS

i'm using on promise gateway as data source and when i try to publish to service i got the following error. 

"publishing failed for an unknown reason.
(DMTS_InvalidFormatConnectionDetailsError)"

Does anyone have same or similar problem? May I know how to fix?

Many thanks,

JS 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous @BIXL I get the feedback internally, the is a known issue with ODBC data source types. The PG implemented a change that should fix this issue. The fix is scheduled to hit Prod last Thursday and should be available sometime this week. They suggested to work around the issue follow below steps currently:

1. Go to manage gateways page and remove all ODBC data sources under their Enterprise Gateway
2. Publish / Import the affected workbook
3. Add back the ODBC data source under their Enterprise Gateway

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my understanding, you created a data source under on-premise data gateway, and when you published the report from Power BI Desktop, the error threw out, right?

In your scenario, please try the way below to see if issue occurs:

1. Publishing the file from a different machine

2. Use Get Data->Files-> Local File in Power BI Service to connect to and upload a Power BI Desktop file.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun, 

Thanks so much for your reply. 

Do I have to publish it from a different machine? It will be hard to work in the future.
Our on-promise gateway is installed on a server and using a service account.

I am using an ODBC driver to connect to the data source under that gateway. 

Right now, data source name under gateway is the same as my ODBC connection string. Do you think that's causing the problem?

Many thanks,
JS

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you tried the second way in my original post? In your .PBIX file, is only one ODBC data source exists, connect to Apache Hive?

Please enable desktop log trace to see if you can find the useful information during publish time.

TraceLog.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @v-qiuyu-msft

I did try the 2nd method you suggest. I can publish but cannot find on-promise gateway. 

@BIXLCurrently, the only way for me to publish from my machine and detect gateway is:

in PB desktop, include 2 odbc data source: a) under on-promise gateway, b) some other odbc data source(X)

Publish the report, delete source (X), publish and replace, then I am able to find the right gateway. 

@Anonymous @BIXL I get the feedback internally, the is a known issue with ODBC data source types. The PG implemented a change that should fix this issue. The fix is scheduled to hit Prod last Thursday and should be available sometime this week. They suggested to work around the issue follow below steps currently:

1. Go to manage gateways page and remove all ODBC data sources under their Enterprise Gateway
2. Publish / Import the affected workbook
3. Add back the ODBC data source under their Enterprise Gateway

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft many thanks for providing feedbacks on this. 
Could you please let me know when this issues is solved? Appreciate it!

Hi @Anonymous,

In another thread some communities said the issue was gone in their environment, it should be work now: Error: DMTS_invalidFormatConnectionDetailsError .

Also I already send a email to confirm it from PG, will update here once get any feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi @Anonymous,

I have the same problem right now working with odbc driver (over intersystem cache).

did you manage to resolve this ?

what kind of DB are you using with odbc ?

thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @BIXL

unfortunately, no. 

So far I found that, if i include two ODBC data sources (one under on-promise gateway, one does not), then i can publish. 

But in power bi service, the data source cannot detect on-promise gateway.

we  r using Apache Hive as warehouse and connect to power bi via odbc. 

thanks and good luck ya!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.