Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

76gftstragfdsa
Regular Visitor

DISTINCT + UNIQUE of date/time does not produce unique results

I am experiencing a very strange issue where DISTINCT does not product unique values.

In one table which have some events (job executions) with some timestamps. I need to create another table with unique timestamps before and after an event happned.

My formula looks like this:

TempTable = 
    DISTINCT(
        UNION(
            SELECTCOLUMNS(VSTSJobs; "Time";  DATE( YEAR(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); MONTH(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); DAY(VSTSJobs[queueTime])) + TIME(HOUR(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); MINUTE(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); ROUND(SECOND(VSTSJobs[queueTime]);0)));
            SELECTCOLUMNS(VSTSJobs; "Time";  DATE( YEAR(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); MONTH(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); DAY(VSTSJobs[queueTime])) + TIME(HOUR(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); MINUTE(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); ROUND(SECOND(VSTSJobs[queueTime]);0)) - TIME(0;0;1))
        )
    )

Problem is, I have related this table to another table on the time column. And now that I load new values, it complains values are no longer unique despite using the DESTINCT function...

I figured this was caused by the source table having milliseconds in the timestamp (although PBI does not show it). Therefore I decided to split it up and round seconds (as shown above). But still there are duplicates...

I have now removed the relationship, so I can see the values.

Here's an example (notice row 2 & 3):

And the same formatted as a decimal number (row 2 & 3):

Why would DISTINCT not product unique values?

Did I misunderstand the purpose of DISTINCT, and is there another function that can produce truly unique values?

The two duplicate values originate from each element of the UNION construct.

As if the formula had been:

TempTable = 
    UNION(
        DISTINCT(...);
        DISTINCT(...);
    )

... but it is not.

If wonder if UNION could add some kind of hidden column indicating where each row was sourced from, and thereby preventing an outer DISTINCT to produce unique values across all sources.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Eventually I have wrapped it in yet another DISTINCT function, this way I have the unique results I need:

TempTable2 = DISTINCT(TempTable[Time])

I still wonder why DISTINCT(UNION(...)) does not work properly. If UNION adds some kind of hidden column indicating the source table for each row, it could explain it.

This formula specificially asks for a DISTINCT value in the Time column. Whereas the DISTINCT in the first formula does it on the entire table, although it should only has one coumn.

I tried something like this first: DISTINCT(UNION(...)[Time]), but couldn't figure out a syntax it would accept.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Will need example source data to recreate. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I don't see how to upload a file here...  but if you paste this into a table named VSTSJobs:

queueTime
16-04-2018 21:11:31
16-04-2018 21:11:30
16-04-2018 21:11:28
16-04-2018 21:11:27
16-04-2018 21:11:25

Then calculate another table with this:

TempTable = 
    DISTINCT(
        UNION(
            SELECTCOLUMNS(VSTSJobs; "Time";  DATE( YEAR(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); MONTH(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); DAY(VSTSJobs[queueTime])) + TIME(HOUR(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); MINUTE(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); ROUND(SECOND(VSTSJobs[queueTime]);0)));
            SELECTCOLUMNS(VSTSJobs; "Time";  DATE( YEAR(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); MONTH(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); DAY(VSTSJobs[queueTime])) + TIME(HOUR(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); MINUTE(VSTSJobs[queueTime]); ROUND(SECOND(VSTSJobs[queueTime]);0)) - TIME(0;0;1))
        )
    )

Then the output has two duplicated values.

And according to the status it has actually discovered this itself:

PBIscreenshot.png

Eventually I have wrapped it in yet another DISTINCT function, this way I have the unique results I need:

TempTable2 = DISTINCT(TempTable[Time])

I still wonder why DISTINCT(UNION(...)) does not work properly. If UNION adds some kind of hidden column indicating the source table for each row, it could explain it.

This formula specificially asks for a DISTINCT value in the Time column. Whereas the DISTINCT in the first formula does it on the entire table, although it should only has one coumn.

I tried something like this first: DISTINCT(UNION(...)[Time]), but couldn't figure out a syntax it would accept.

WolfBiber
Employee
Employee

Hi, 

I don't really understand your problem.

But datetime types are stored with milliseconds (look at the bottom of this image):

Unbenannt.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.