Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

plartoo
Regular Visitor

DISTINCT COUNT AND GROUP BY

This has been asked many times in this forum. But I'm a newbie and haven't found any satisfying answer so far in this forum, so please bear with me. 🙂

I have a table that goes like this:

Country      Advertiser      Brand      Spend
C1              A1                  B1            10
C1              A1                  B2            5

C1              A2                  B3            0
C1              A2                  B4            20
C2              A1                  B1            8
C2              A1                  B5            7
C2              A2                  B6            4
C2              A2                  B3            3
C2              A2                  B7            2
C2              A3                  B8            9

I'd like to create a tree map in Power BI that shows Spend by Country and Advertiser **along with Distinct Brand Count per country per advertiser**. 

In SQL, I'd have done something like this:
SELECT Country, Advertiser, Spend, COUNT(DISTINCT Brand)
FROM my_table
GROUP BY Country, Advertiser
ORDER BY 1,2

In PowerBI, I think I have to create a new measure to find out the DISCTINCT COUNT of Brands first.? I already tried something like this to create a measure: 

DistinctBrandCount = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(SampleDataForDashboard[Brand]), GROUPBY(SampleDataForDashboard,SampleDataForDashboard[Country]))

a few other variants that I found in this forum, but none of them seems to work so far.

Q1: Could anyone please help me with how to create a new field/metric that shows distinct count of brands for each advertiser in every country?

Q2: Assuming I get Q1 resolved, I'd like to embed the number of disctinct count in the tree map (as shown in the screenshot example below/attached). Is that possible and if so, how do I customize/modify the tree map to make DISCTINCT COUNT appear along with other metrics?

Example Tree Map that I''d like to buildExample Tree Map that I''d like to build

I'm also attaching the test data in CSV format below in case someone would like ot test it out.
Country,Advertiser,Brand,Spend
C1,A1,B1,10
C1,A1,B2,5
C1,A2,B3,0
C1,A2,B4,20
C2,A1,B1,8
C2,A1,B5,7
C2,A2,B6,4
C2,A2,B3,3
C2,A2,B7,2
C2,A3,B8,9

Thank you in advance for your suggestions/answers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@plartoo,

Using the measure from your other post  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Finding-DISTINCT-COUNT-of-Brands-by-Country/m-p/420940#M193...,

3.png

Seemingly, I could not find a way to show [Spend] alongside the Distinct Count so I placed [Spend] in a Tooltip.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@plartoo,

Using the measure from your other post  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Finding-DISTINCT-COUNT-of-Brands-by-Country/m-p/420940#M193...,

3.png

Seemingly, I could not find a way to show [Spend] alongside the Distinct Count so I placed [Spend] in a Tooltip.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@plartoo, try this:

Measure = countx(DISTINCT(sourceTable),sourceTable[Brand])

Thank you for your suggestion. But 

Measure = COUNTX(DISTINCT(SampleDataForDashboard), SampleDataForDashboard[Brand])

returns TOTAL number of brands in each country. Is there a way to get DISTINCT COUNT instead?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.