Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mhph

DAX weighted average based on another dimension

Hello,

I have the following data:

DATE        COUNTRY     ITEM        Value
2005-01-01  UK          op_rate     30%
2005-01-01  UK          proc        1000
2005-01-01  UK          export      750 
2005-01-01  ITA         op_rate     45%
2005-01-01  ITA         proc        500 
2005-01-01  ITA         export      350

Basically, data in normal format, which includes both ratios (the op_rate) and other items such as exported volumes and processed volumes ("proc").

I need to aggregate by SUM for "proc" and "export", but not for the "op_rate", for which I need a weighted average by "proc".

In this case the aggregated op_rate would be: 0.45*500 + 0.30*1000 = 0.35 // instead of a .75 SUM or 0.375 AVERAGE

All example I find for weighted average are across measures, but none covers using other dimensions.

>> The model is simplified -- and the data structure is fixed

Any help most welcome!

4 REPLIES 4
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mhph,

Please try to create a calculated column using the formula:

weight=CALCULATE (SUM(CALCULATE (min(table[Value]),filter(table,table[ITEM]='op_rate'))*CALCULATE (min(table[Value]),filter(table,table[ITEM]='proc')),ALLEXCEPT(table, table[COUNTRY]))

Then create a measure based on the [weight] column.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

The way you store your data looks a bit weird, I feel like one column for each information would be much better:

DATE, COUNTRY, ITEM, OP_RATE, PROC, EXPORT

Specially if they are linked together !! 

Could you detail a bit more the result you want to reach ? I did get the weighted average thing:

0.45*500+0.3*100 = 0.35*1500

but not really the result you want to reach.. Is it a table, a graph a measure ?? 

Hello - thanks for your reply

I am looking for a measure, so that when I am filtering by op_rate it won't just sum it but do the weighted average.

I have thought of pivoting, but it would be unpractical, as (1) there are also other dimensions ("product"), and (2) sometimes I need to sum up Items, sometimes I aggregate by country, sometimes across time, so calculations are across all dimension consistently - logic needs to be coded within the measure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey again @mhph,

I don't know if I understand the phrasing you use, when you say "Filtering by op_rate" for me it's just returning a table with "op_rate" values.. 

Also from what I understood you have 3 values grouped together for each product sold: ( op_rate, proc, export ) do you have a similar product ID for those to recognize which op_rate corresponds to which proc and which export value ? 

Could you provide the result you want to reach like an example? It is very easy and well formatted to do copy paste from excel and insert screenshot ! 

🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.