Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sasha
Helper III
Helper III

DAX vs. Tableau

Hi,

recently began learning Tableau and got to admit it's intuitive use gotr me confused regarding DAX.

DAX is quite complex for understanding with its evaluation context involved.

What does it contribute to empower PBI that cannot be done in Tableau?

My question is specifically re DAX and not other PBI strengths such as Power Query.

Thanks

Alex

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank me later,

This comparative table is not possible without the contributions of Sasha, Chihiro, LivioLanzo, LivioLanzo, and itchyeyeballs.

DAX vs. Tableau

No.

Feature

DAX (in Power BI)

Tableau

ETL & Modelling

Power Query for ETL & Power Pivot for Modelling (aka. Relationship Management)

Lack of ETL and modeling feature. E.g. “I routinely have to connect to multiple sources ranging from zipped file, text file, db, to API and wanted ETL that handled all these situations, without need for integration with other software” intimately shared Chihiro.

E.g. Have to get the data into the right format before you can present it

Mastery

A small Drill-Down - in term on Filter and Row Context - once you master the understanding of the concepts, you pretty much master DAX (roughly) – Microsoft’s horse power for extensive 250 functions for complex data manipulation!

Tableau language for only Tableau with about 170 functions – Tableau main strength = Simplicity. E.g. I don't think you can create tables with Tableau formula language.

E.g. No “virtual” table via such CALCULATETABLE.

Visualization

! Sufficient visuals

More appealing because Tableau was built more around the principles outlined by Stephen Few and Edward Tufte.

Integration Service

Integration with other Microsoft products, such as Excel, SQL Server Tabular cubes or SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), or Power BI.

Naaah

Pricing

! PBI Desktop = FREE on Windows but no such PBI for MacOS.

$9.99/month/Pro User

$20/month/Premium User

$4,995/month/Capacity

Gotta persuade Management & IT dept for this corporate-wide implementation of this tool.

Tableau Public = FREE & Available on both Windows & Mac

$15/month/Viewer

$42/month/Explorer

$70/month/Creator;

Also, if you find any interesting features that can be added to the above table or any adjustments to the above comparison, pls feel free to reply.

Regads,

Su

Sasha
Helper III
Helper III

Thank you all!

It's very helpful.

Just a small drill down - in term on filter and ro context - once you master the understaning of the concepts, you pretty much master DAX (roughly).

Where does it meet Tableau? Do these concepts exist in the same manner?

You cannot learn DAX for 5 minutes without hearing about it, and calculate in particular. Is it the same in Tableau or do they emphaise a different concept?

Hmm, I don't think I'll be of much help in that regard.

I only evaluated Tableau, before deciding on BI tool of choice for the company, and didn't delve deep into their function language.

One of the deciding factor was lack of ETL and modeling feature in Tableau for me. I routinely have to connect to multiple sources ranging from zipped file, text file, db, to API and wanted ETL that handled all these situations, without need for integration with other sofware. Though visualization tools in Tableau was much more appealing.

LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

As pointed out Tableau wins when it comes to Visualization as it was built more around the principles outlined by Stephen Few and Edward Tufte and I hope Power BI will catch up, Microsoft is putting in a lot of effort and great things are always coming.

On the other hand, in terms of horse power through DAX, Power Query and integration with other Microsoft software, Power BI is clear winner and I doubt Tableau can catch up. 

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

They are both formula languages and thus I'm not sure there are really any strengths/weaknesses to be had necessarily. Tableau's main strength is it's simplicity but it isn't nearly as extensive as DAX. Tableau has about 170 functions (that's generous as a lot of them are just variations). DAX has over 250 functions. 

Not sure about specifically what can be done in one versus that other but perhaps some of the functions like GENERATE and NATURALINNERJOIN, etc. 

You can create columns, measures and tables using DAX, I don't think you can create tables with Tableau formula language, might be wrong.

DAX can be used in Excel Power Pivot, Power BI Desktop and SQL Server tablular cubes. Tableau's language can be used with...Tableau. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

For most day to day tasks I don't find Tableau any easier, it may be because I'm used to PBI/DAX but I often end up resorting to randomly trying different combinations when using level of detail or table calcs to achieve a desired outcome in Tableau without really knowing whats going on. 

Tableau also requires you to somehow get the data into the right format before you can present it (Alteryx $6k per person per year?) whereas as others have pointed out DAX enables you to do much more on the fly.

Tableau wins hands down in terms of visualisation capabilties though but thats a different thread.

Chihiro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

DAX is not just used in PowerBI space, but used (based) in SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).

DAX allows for CALCULATETABLE etc, to return virtual table, that can be filtered. Which Tableau lacks...

In short, DAX allows for more complex data manipulation and is more powerful than what Tableau offers.

Though it is quite a bit harder to learn.

But it really depends on your business need, which is best suited for you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.