Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gpiero
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

DAX vs M languace in PBI service: are there anuìy guidelines?

I noticed, pubblishing several PBI desktop report on PBI service, that many DAX solutions that run perfectly on the desktop are incompatible (Smiley Sad or at least what I understood up to now) in the service.

For instance, I had a report where I created a table from another datasource using SUMMARIZE. It works fine as a desktop report but the refresh failed in the service.

Then I created the same table in a new report using Table.Group() and the refresh failing was solved.

This event and some others very similar convinced to prefer M query in the service instead of a lot of DAX.

But I am not sure that it is the best conclusion.

So my question is: where can I find some helpful guidelines or Current Best Approach to design in a proper way a report that should be published in PBI service, in order to decrease  the troobleshooting?

Thanks in advace

If I can...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @gpiero ,

For the issue, that should be the your table has been updated. table name / column name was changed or columns were added / deleted. So to work on it, just delete the dataset and republish the report. BTW, please use the latest version of gateway and Power bi desktop to work on it.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gpiero ,

M and DAX are two completely different languages.

M is used in Power Query (a.k.a. Get & Transform in Excel 2016) and the query tool for Power BI Desktop. Its functions and syntax are very different from Excel worksheet functions. M is a mashup query language used to query a multitude of data sources. It contains commands to transform data and can return the results of the query and transformations to either an Excel table or the Excel or Power BI data model.

More information about M can be found here and using your favourite search engine.

DAX stands for Data Analysis eXpressions. DAX is the formula language used in Power Pivot and Power BI Desktop. DAX uses functions to work on data that is stored in tables. Some DAX functions are identical to Excel worksheet functions, but DAX has many more functions to summarize, slice and dice complex data scenarios.

There are many tutorials and learning resources for DAX if you know how to use a search engine. Or start here.

In essence: First you use Power Query (M) to query data sources, clean and load data. Then you use DAX to analyze the data in Power Pivot. Finally, you build pivot tables (Excel) or data visualisations with Power BI.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

@v-frfei-msft 

Hi,

many thanks for your detailed information. 

Furthermore I would like to thank you for two links regarding DAX and M included in you answer: it confirms I am using the right source of information.

Anyway, I believe the end user should have more specific tools to understand what is hidden behind an anonymous message:

"Refresh failed".

If a report built in PBI desktop can use SUMMARIZE, but the same command could not be solved in the service, so my question is: why the user should guess by himself how to solve the problem?

Thanks

If I can...

Hi @gpiero ,

For the issue, that should be the your table has been updated. table name / column name was changed or columns were added / deleted. So to work on it, just delete the dataset and republish the report. BTW, please use the latest version of gateway and Power bi desktop to work on it.

@v-frfei-msft 

Hi,

sorry for my late reply. Really I did not see your post dated last Jun 3rd.

Anyway before sending my initial post I modified the report. I replaced the DAX SUMMARIZE using Power Query with Table.Group().

At first test, the refresh works perfectly. I am quite sure between last use of SUMMARIZE and the first test with Table.Group nor change in table name was made neither in the column names.

In any case, just to complete this test I will try to duplicate the report putting SUMMARIZE again. I will pubblish the report in the service with a different name and in a TEST workspace.

Now I become really curious.

I will let you know.

If I can...

Hi @gpiero ,

Does that make sense? If so kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case. Thanks in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.