Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX to dynamically change the currency symbol facing issue

Hi,
I am trying to dynamically change the currency symbol according to the currency selection in the slicer.
Below is my DAX:

Total Sales Converted =
VAR CurrencySelected = SELECTEDVALUE('Client'[Currency],"USD")
VAR SelectedCurrency = CALCULATE(SUM('Transaction'[Sales Amount]),'Client'[Currency] = CurrencySelected)
VAR AllClientstoUSD = SUM('Transaction'[SalesAmountUSD])
VAR USDFormat = FORMAT(AllClientstoUSD,"$#,##0.00;($#,##0)")
VAR CADFormat = CONCATENATE("CAD ",FORMAT(SelectedCurrency,"$#,##0.00;($#,##0)"))
VAR GBPFormat = FORMAT(SelectedCurrency,"£#,##0.00;($#,##0)")
VAR EURFormat = FORMAT(SelectedCurrency,"€#,##0.00;($#,##0)")
RETURN
SWITCH(
TRUE(),
CurrencySelected = "USD",IF(NOT(ISBLANK(AllClientstoUSD)),USDFormat),
CurrencySelected= "CAD",IF(NOT(ISBLANK(SelectedCurrency)),CADFormat),
CurrencySelected= "GBP",IF(NOT(ISBLANK(SelectedCurrency)),GBPFormat),
CurrencySelected= "EUR",IF(NOT(ISBLANK(SelectedCurrency)),EURFormat),
[Total Sales]
)
The results are correct as shown below:
SaloniGupta_0-1635959303272.png

But the issue I face is I can neither sort it (descending based on Total Sales)
nor can I convert it to a chart as it displays no values for Total Sales
SaloniGupta_2-1635959485725.png

Can you pls help me resolve the issue as to how can I dynamically change the currency symbol according to the currency selection in the slicer and at the same time convert it to a chart and sort the values in a table?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

I have the problem can't display table, my solution is that add a function IF(HASONEVALUE('Table'[ID]), [GET VALUE], total value). However, total value has some diffcultly to calculate. My idea is sum(fact value) * exchange rate.

Back your case, you need a rate. For example , USD 400  when you select CAD the value 400 need multiply 1.24 =497. so , if create a bar chart , (fact values * rate) be the values of the bar chart is a good idea. format measure you created is better when you create a table.

Sort by string is impossible without any other int column. just like your screenshot, add the value column to sort this table.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

For short ,the problem is that the measure result is string instead of int, so it is blank().

In the bar chart values, you should use a measure to get the value of Total Sales Converted, some measure like the following:

GET VALUE =
VALUE(RIGHT([Total Sales Converted],LEN([Total Sales Converted])-4)) // 4 is the length of "USA" and "$"

Change above measure in your case and I put my pbix you can refer.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-chenwuz-msft,
Thank you for replying,
I did my testing and I believe this solution works if I have values like CAD$400 and USD$400. But in my case, I simply have $400 for the US Values and £400 for the British (GBP) Values.

Another issue I see is even if I resolve the above problem, the new calculated measure "GET VALUE" gives me an error when I try to add Client name or Client Id as shown below:

SaloniGupta_0-1636384781969.png

when I add Client Id/ Client Name which is from separate table "Client", the table shows an error

SaloniGupta_1-1636384826780.png

Can you pls help me resolve this?

Lastly, Can you also give me a workaround for sorting the values in a table but with the formatted currency?
as shown in the below screenshot?

SaloniGupta_2-1636385196011.png

Hi @Anonymous 

I have the problem can't display table, my solution is that add a function IF(HASONEVALUE('Table'[ID]), [GET VALUE], total value). However, total value has some diffcultly to calculate. My idea is sum(fact value) * exchange rate.

Back your case, you need a rate. For example , USD 400  when you select CAD the value 400 need multiply 1.24 =497. so , if create a bar chart , (fact values * rate) be the values of the bar chart is a good idea. format measure you created is better when you create a table.

Sort by string is impossible without any other int column. just like your screenshot, add the value column to sort this table.

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.