Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LionelR
Frequent Visitor

DAX query to extract data from SSAS model filtering a specific value in a field

I am connecting to a cube in SSAS which has multiple tables linked in the Model already. I want to extract the data with specific criteria. I have tried the below DAX

Evaluate(filter('Table',[Field]="Value"))

This has resulted in the extraction of all the fields in that particular table "Table" but does not show me the full data linked with different tables.

I would like to extract all the data in the model, filtering only data if the filter criteria meet condition( specific value in a particular field in a particular table "Table" show me all the data linked in the model.

Appreciate your help!

LionelR_0-1599188148010.png

thanks

Lionel

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@LionelR Can you just connect to the cube, suck in everything and then go back and filter that table in your query for that table? Use the default navigator and select everything instead of using advanced to enter your own DAX.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response! I have tried this already and successfully created a report in Power Bi desktop, but having issues publishing due to gateway error.

LionelR_0-1599189322356.jpeg

hence, I want to import the data with specific filter criteria and be able to extract data using DAX spanning across different linked tables in the model 

thanks for your help!

HI @LionelR,

>>Thanks for your response! I have tried this already and successfully created a report in Power Bi desktop, but having issues publishing due to gateway error.

I guess it would relate to power bi security and privacy.
When you working on desktop side, it has enough permission to process these functions; when you publish to power bi service side, obviously you do not have full permissions to process these queries host on power bi service. Some of the functions will be blocked due to security reasons. (this also apply to other types of script and codes such as r script, python that host in your report)

Power BI Security#data-storage-security 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@LionelR - Odd, I know it's possible to import data from cubes: https://radacad.com/add-or-edit-columns-when-importing-data-from-analysis-services-into-power-bi

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Latest book!:

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response!

I am working out how to restrict data using DAX while importing, to a specific value in a field in a model with multiple tables.

Do you know if I could use a different syntax? the above formula restricts and only shows data from a single table and other data from linked tables are lost.

Thanks

@LionelR - No, but you could create a new query for the other table and then use the table you imported in order to either do a Merge or filter the new table coming in, effectively accomplishing what you want, I *think*. If I understand correctly, you want to import this table within only the rows you want and then have the other related tables also have only the rows that correspond with the rows in this first table that you are importing. Right?

Latest book!:

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@LionelR , I think this one will create a new table and that is not joined to any other table. As SASS live connection will not allow any data model changes. You may have to prefer to do all such changes in the schema in SASS

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.