Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Barnee
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

DAX performance optimization

Hello Community,

It will be a long post, sorry guys but I'm really in need of help.

I have a DAX for ranking and segmenting users based on consumption but it has big performance issues. It takes way more than a minute - or it times out - to calculate it on a monthly date range for example.

Below I'll try to add all the details you might need. 

Model:
basic calendar table: has a relationship with stream on Date-date
stream table: contains consumption on a daily-user-content-platform level so pretty detailed and huge: about 52m rows for 8 months period

Viewers2 = DISTINCT(stream[gigya_uid]) - list of users with views - has a relationship with stream on uid-uid
UserSegments: contains 4 categories with an upper and lower value

model.png

and here is the DAX I use:

the goal is to categorize the users based on their consumption and to tel for instance that the "heavy" category which contains the top 25% of the users in the given time period is responsible for the 70% of the consumption

The idea of the solution comes from the @EnterpriseDNA  youtube channel.

//simple sum of views:
Net Stream views = SUM(stream[net_stream_views])
//the rank based on views where I rank the users if they had at least 1 view in the given period:
ViewRank = IF(ISBLANK( [Net Stream views]),BLANK(),
        RANKX(
            FILTER(ALL(Viewers2),NOT( ISBLANK([Net Stream views] ) ) ),[Net Stream views],,DESC,Skip))
//the segmentation where I'm trying to iterate throug the viewers and categorize them 
//to the categories located in the UserSegments table based on the useres rank Segmentation = VAR RankingDimension = VALUES( Viewers2[gigya_uid] ) VAR TotalCustomers = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Viewers2), FILTER( ALL(Viewers2[gigya_uid] ),[Net Stream views] > 0 )) RETURN CALCULATE( [Net Stream views], FILTER( RankingDimension, COUNTROWS( FILTER( UserSegment, [ViewRank] > TotalCustomers * UserSegment[Low] && [ViewRank] <= TotalCustomers * UserSegment[High] ) ) > 0 ) )

what I'm trying to get is something like this for example:
resoult.png

Is it possible to optimize this solution to boost performance or to solve it a different way to keep it dynamic?

If you need any other detail don't hesitate to ask. 🙂

Thanks for your time in advance.

Bests,
Barna

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Barnee 

Could you share your sample pbix file for us have a test? (remove other columns and just keep some necessary column that could reproduce this case).

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi  Lin @v-lili6-msft ,

here it is with dummy data but same structure: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ifXB2wcYeuGLea0bcQXdGT4rW_FB3pRv/view?usp=sharing 

the original has about 52 million rows in the stream table and 1.3 million in the Viewers2 table.

thanks

Barna

hi @v-lili6-msft ,

have you got an idea to my problem by any chance?

Best,

Barna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.