Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX “multiple columns” error when trying to return the Nth ranked text value

I was working on a solution to calculate something similar to Qlikview's FirstSortedValue in DAX for Power BI. To my knowledge there is no solution out of the box to get the functionality of getting a text value (much like the category) which by its rank is in an nth position.

My question is: Why does this work on a single column, but returns a multiple column error when used on a table?

CALCULATE(SAMPLE(1, FILTER('table_name', RANKX(ALL('table_name'[column_name]), CALCULATE(COUNT('table_name'[column_name])),,,skip) = Nth), TRUE()))

a different variation as well:

CALCULATE(SAMPLE(1, VALUES('table_name'[column_name]), TRUE()), FILTER('table_name', RANKX(ALL('table_name'[column_name]), CALCULATE(COUNT('table_name'[column_name])),,,Dense) = Nth))

Either of these and many more of my attempts work when it is a single column, but why would this not work when used on a table with multiple columns? It should return a sample of 1 text value according to the Nth rank I choose? Akin to answering a question of "What is the Nth top selling product name according to salescount?".

I am stumped, still trying to find an answer. Firstnonblank is not an option, because I do not care for a solution to get the 1st ranked answer only; do not suggest that. 🙂

Other than that - please help, I feel I am close... 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

**EDIT: Oct 23 2018
Here it is! The final succinct version: works great!**
Measure =

VAR Nth = [number] RETURN CONCATENATEX(DISTINCT('table_name'[column_name]), CALCULATE(FILTER(VALUES('table_name'[column_name]), RANKX(ALL('table_name'[column_name]), CALCULATE(COUNT('table_name'[column_name])),,,Dense) = Nth)),",")

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I could use SAMPLE function in a calculated table without any error prompt. But I cannot understand what is the purpose of "= Nth" in above formula. Could you please provide more description with some sample data? And please show us your desired output.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

**EDIT: Oct 23 2018
Here it is! The final succinct version: works great!**
Measure =

VAR Nth = [number] RETURN CONCATENATEX(DISTINCT('table_name'[column_name]), CALCULATE(FILTER(VALUES('table_name'[column_name]), RANKX(ALL('table_name'[column_name]), CALCULATE(COUNT('table_name'[column_name])),,,Dense) = Nth)),",")

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.