Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX measures to do Partial Match and Join between UNRELATED Tables

I have 2 tables that i have imported to Excel 2016 PowerPivot Data Model.

Input Table (unpivoted):

UPC	Attribute	Value
1	Char1	OIL FREE
1	Char2	NO GLUTEN
1	Char3	ZERO PARABEN
1	Char4	HYPO ALLERGENIC
1	Char5	NO SODIUM; NO OIL; ORGANIC
1	Char8	NOT
2	Char6	CONTAINS JOJOBA OIL
3	Char2	NO GLUTEN
5	Char4	DOES NOT CONTAIN COMMON ALLERGENS
5	Char8	TO
7	Char1	FREE OF OIL
7	Char3	NO PARABEN
7	Char5	ZERO OIL; ZERO PARABEN; NO GLUTEN
8	Char8	BE
9	Char6	HAS NO OIL
10	Char2	GLUTEN FREE
10	Char3	FREE OF PARABEN
10	Char4	HYPOALLERGENIC
11	Char7	3% SODIUM
12	Char4	HYPO-ALLERGENIC
12	Char8	USED
13	Char1	CONTAINS NO OIL
14	Char4	HYPO ALLERGENIC
15	Char8	ANY
16	Char5	FREE OF GLUTEN
17	Char1	OIL FREE
18	Char1	OIL FREE
18	Char8	MORE
20	Char1	DOES NOT HAVE OIL
20	Char7	NO OIL

WordsList Table:

Words
PARABEN
OIL
NO
HYPO
ALLERGEN
SODIUM
GLUTEN
JOJOBA

I have to do a Partial Match of each Word in the WordsList table with the Value column in the InputTable using DAX and not Power Query. I have 2 Pivot Tables as shown below that i need to update with measures:

1st Pivot (based on WordList table, Words column) :

Words	                 DistinctCountOfUPC	%DistinctCountOfUPC
------------------------------------------------------------------------
OIL	                  8	                                 53.33%
NO	                  7	                                 46.67%
GLUTEN	                  5	                                 33.33%
ALLERGEN	          5	                                 33.33%
HYPO	                  4	                                 26.67%
PARABEN	                  3	                                 20.00%
SODIUM	                  2	                                 13.33%
JOJOBA	                  1	                                 6.67%
Grand Total	         20	                                100.00%

2nd Pivot (based on InputTable - Attribute & Value columns):

This table gets filtered based on what Word gets selected in a Slicer shown below.

Attribute	    Value	                            Count of Value
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Char5    ZERO OIL; ZERO PARABEN; NO GLUTEN                          1
Char5    NO SODIUM; NO OIL; ORGANIC	                            1
Char1    DOES NOT HAVE OIL	                                    1
Char1    CONTAINS NO OIL	                                    1
Char2    NO GLUTEN	                                            2
Char6    HAS NO OIL	                                            1
Char7    NO OIL	                                                    1
Char3    NO PARABEN	                                            1
Char4    DOES NOT CONTAIN COMMON ALLERGENS                          1
Grand Total                                                         10

Slicer :Slicer to filter Pivot 2Slicer to filter Pivot 2

I can do a Partial Match in Power Query and then load to Data Model, but it will increase the number of Rows from 5M (50,954 Rows x 116 Columns) to 236 M (50,954 Rows x 116 Columns x 40 Words)  i.e. for my original data and take an entire day to load to Data Model. So trying this way.

The problem i am facing is :

• How do i do a partial match between the 2 UNRELATED tables and find out which Words from WordList table partially match with Value column from InputTable?
  • How do i join the 2 tables together so that the WordsList[Words] Slicer may filter the Value Column of the InputTable without getting a Circular Dependency error?
  • How do i get a Distinct Count of the UPCs and their Percentage of GrandTotal, that contain those Words for Pivot 1?
  • How do i get a Count of Value and %Count of Value for Value Column of Input Table?
  • Is there a way to calculate these as Measures and not as Calculated Columns?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So you could use a pattern like the following for the Count of UPC and Value count measures. It seems to work on the small sample data set in this post, but I would be really concerned about the performance over larger datasets

Distinct UPC Count = COUNTROWS( 
    CALCULATETABLE(
        DISTINCT(Input[UPC])
        , FILTER(Input, IFERROR(SEARCH(SELECTEDVALUE(Wordslist[Words],""),Input[value]),-1)> 0)
    )
)
Value Count = COUNTROWS( 
    CALCULATETABLE(
        Input
        , FILTER(Input, IFERROR(SEARCH(SELECTEDVALUE(Wordslist[Words],""),Input[value]),-1)> 0)
    )
)

Even though it will take longer to load, you may get much better query performance from the 230M row data set. How often does the data change, can you unpivot it and store it in a database to minimize the manipulation you have to do as you load it? If you are streaming that many rows direct from a database you should be able to load in less than 1.5 hours (assuming you have a 64bit machine otherwise you are likely to run into memory issues) 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So you could use a pattern like the following for the Count of UPC and Value count measures. It seems to work on the small sample data set in this post, but I would be really concerned about the performance over larger datasets

Distinct UPC Count = COUNTROWS( 
    CALCULATETABLE(
        DISTINCT(Input[UPC])
    )
)
Value Count = COUNTROWS( 
    CALCULATETABLE(
        Input
    )
)

Even though it will take longer to load, you may get much better query performance from the 230M row data set. How often does the data change, can you unpivot it and store it in a database to minimize the manipulation you have to do as you load it? If you are streaming that many rows direct from a database you should be able to load in less than 1.5 hours (assuming you have a 64bit machine otherwise you are likely to run into memory issues) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @d_gosbell,

Just to give you a background - It is a 50K data extract that i Unpivot in Power Query, which increases the rows to 5M. Earlier i was doing the Join of a 40 Words Wordlist table with these 5M rows internally in Power Query and then loading to the Excel PowerPivot Data Model, which was making the rows increase to 236M thereby increasing the load time to >24 hours. I think this was happening because i was importing 1 source table from an external file and 2 source tables from within the tool into Power Query and then merging the sources. This design created multiple caches. Now when i moved all the source tables into a single External Source workbook, the load time reduced from >24 hours to 2 hours as a single cache gets created now. To further reduce the load time, i am now not merging the 40 Words Wordlist table with the 5M rows Input table in Power Query, but want to achieve the merge and calculations using DAX. Doing this, i am only loading the 5M rows to PowerPivot Data Model and then do the calculations. Hope you are getting my point.

BTW, i am using Excel 2016 64 bit on Windows 10 64 bit with all the latest updates. SELECTEDVALUE function is not present for Excel so the measures give errors. Is there an Alternative function that can be used as i am currently using FIRSTNONBLANK function which i think is giving me the desired results.

The imported data extract takes 2 minutes to load and then the 2 DAX (UPC Count & Value Count) calculations take some 1-2 minutes to calculate each word (with a 50K Rows x 116 Columns x 40 comparison Words file), but it is a huge improvement! Thanks.

• Can these measures be optimized futher because when i compared with Excel Pivot's default Count, it is much faster than these Counts.
  • One place of improvement i see is to not allow the SEARCH function to search any cells in InputTable[Value] that have "~". To get the correct total UPC count, I had replaced nulls in UPC rows in the crosstab InputTable before Unpivoting it. This is because, Unpivot removes all rows having nulls (see yellow highlighted rows in INPUT sheet in Dummy Data.xlsx file), thereby removing some of the UPC rows and reducing the UPC count.
  • I can filter the 2nd Pivot on the Value column to remove the "~" sign from rows, but it usually freezes Excel.
  • I have been able to modify your measures and add the Grand Totals to both the pivots.

UPC Count:

VAR GT = DISTINCTCOUNT(InputTable[UPC]) RETURN

IF( HASONEFILTER(WordList[Words]), 

COUNTROWS( 
    CALCULATETABLE(
        DISTINCT(InputTable[UPC])
        , FILTER(InputTable, IFERROR(SEARCH(FIRSTNONBLANK(WordList[Words],""),InputTable[Value]),-1)> 0)
    )
)
GT
)

Value Count:

VAR GT = COUNTA(InputTable[Value]) RETURN

IF(HASONEFILTER(WordList[Words]),

COUNTROWS( 
    CALCULATETABLE(
        InputTable
        , FILTER( InputTable, IFERROR(SEARCH(FIRSTNONBLANK(WordList[Words],1), InputTable[Value] ), -1)> 0 )
    )
)
GT
)

Here are the 2 files for your perusal - Sample Tool, Dummy Data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.