Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sparks
Helper I
Helper I

DAX measure to show last value for every subsequent month until value is changed

Need help with creating a DAX measure.

I have a Product, Region dimension and a fact that stores the audit trial of the fluctuating Unit Price in different time period. Lets say, Product A in North region, price in January 2021 was X and it changed to Y in April 2021 and then again to Z in August 2021. In the fact table, there are 3 records for each of those price change. Likewise for other regions and products, the price changed in various intervals. Now, in the Power BI report, if add a clustered column chart for Product A (Slicer Filter) to show MonthName on X axis, RegionName on Legend, and Unit Price in Values field, I would see the value only for January, April and August as shown below. The values for the remaining months in the calendar are not shown unless we duplicate the records for each month in the fact table. 

Report1.png

Since the January price X did not change till March, is there any way possible, like using a measure, to show the "as on" unit price, X, for February and March also. And similarly April price Y for April, May and so on until the price changed again. For example (edited in MS Paint): 

Expected to see every month of the calendarExpected to see every month of the calendar

Here is the link to the pbix and the sample data. 

Please help 🙏 

Any suggestions to change in the model schema is also highly appriciated 🙏

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Sparks here is the measure and the output:

Sum Unit = SUM ( FactPrice[UnitPrice] )

Measure = 
COALESCE ( 
    [Sum Unit], 
    CALCULATE ( 
        LASTNONBLANKVALUE ( MonthYear[MonthYearName], [Sum Unit] ), 
        FILTER ( 
            ALL ( MonthYear ), 
            MonthYear[MonthYearName] < MAX ( MonthYear[MonthYearName] ) 
        ) 
    ) 
)

parry2k_0-1642607597569.png

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
nickchobotar
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hey Guys,
It appears, it is possible to ditch COALESCE() by updating the < to <= in the FILTER() table expression.

MonthYear[MonthYearName] <= MAX

CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        ALL ( MonthYear ),
        MonthYear[MonthYearName] <= MAX ( MonthYear[MonthYearName] )
    )
)

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Sparks what is the flag for it is reinstated?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

The flag is set to 'Available' once reinstated as shown below in the dataset

Discontinued and Reinstated.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Sparks Glad it worked out. I think I will do a video on it and then post it on my youtube channel, do subscribe for it.

On your 2nd point about a discontinued product, what identifies when product is discontinued and when it started again.

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

In the Fact table, there is a AvailablityFlag field that highlights if the product was discontinued. 

DiscontinuedFlag.png

I guess as a dirty workaround, we can add an additional row for Product A and West Region with 0 unit price till the time the product is reintroduced in a later month. But is there a better way of handling within the measure itself?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Sparks here is the measure and the output:

Sum Unit = SUM ( FactPrice[UnitPrice] )

Measure = 
COALESCE ( 
    [Sum Unit], 
    CALCULATE ( 
        FILTER ( 
            ALL ( MonthYear ), 
            MonthYear[MonthYearName] < MAX ( MonthYear[MonthYearName] ) 
        ) 
    ) 
)

parry2k_0-1642607597569.png

Thanks a ton @parry2k !! That was quick turnaround and the solution worked like charm!!

Could you please try to explain the measure calculation, please?

Also, how can I handle the "discontinued product" scenario? For example, Product A was discontinued in West Region from May 2021 to July 2021 and later resumed in August 2021. So, how not to show Product A for West Region in the report for these specific period?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.