Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX measure to concatenate values of a row and text

Hello everybody, 

I would like to write a DAX query by Concatenating values from other columns in the same row + text.  I would like to create something like the last column (Message). 

Basically something like - "Steph is " [direction] [difference %] " from yesterday,  "James is " [direction] [difference %] " from yesterday, "Paul is " [direction] [difference %] " from yesterday. 

Is it possible to do it in the same DAX measure? and if so, can you please give any suggestions.  Counting on you guys.

DAX.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

using this DAX statement to create a calculated column

Text Concat = 
"At " & 'ProductCatalog'[PriceDate] & " the Price was " & 'ProductCatalog'[Price]

creates this:

image.png

I guess the secret sauce is just the & sign to concatenated as many strings as you need and the referencing the columns in you table like so 'yourtablename'[column1]

Hopefully this is what you are looking for

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous,

I would recommend a calculated column which would be calculated by:

column =

IF(

Table[difference] > 0,   

COMBINEVALUES(" ", COMBINEVALUES(" is up ", Table[name], Table[direction]), "from yesterday"),

COMBINEVALUES(" ", COMBINEVALUES(" is down ", Table[name], Table[direction]), "from yesterday")

)

Hope this works for you,

Parker

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous,

I would recommend a calculated column which would be calculated by:

column =

IF(

Table[difference] > 0,   

COMBINEVALUES(" ", COMBINEVALUES(" is up ", Table[name], Table[direction]), "from yesterday"),

COMBINEVALUES(" ", COMBINEVALUES(" is down ", Table[name], Table[direction]), "from yesterday")

)

Hope this works for you,

Parker

Can this be performed as a measure?

Does anyone know how to concatenate the row and text in a measure? 

Hey @renoyzac ,

please be a little more specific on your requirements. The simple answer is: yes, of course!

But then, you have to consider how you want to use this, meaning the combination of visual and measure. This is important, e.g., using the table iterator function CONCATENATEX( ... ) might create "long" strings on the Total line.

I think it's a good idea to start your own thread providing a more detailed description of your requirements and ideally a link that points to pbix file on onedrive or dropbox, that contains sample data but still reflects your data model.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

using this DAX statement to create a calculated column

Text Concat = 
"At " & 'ProductCatalog'[PriceDate] & " the Price was " & 'ProductCatalog'[Price]

creates this:

image.png

I guess the secret sauce is just the & sign to concatenated as many strings as you need and the referencing the columns in you table like so 'yourtablename'[column1]

Hopefully this is what you are looking for

Regards

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.