Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PhoenixBird66
Helper III
Helper III

DAX measure IF a value is not blank

percentage_increase.JPG

I've written a DAX measure to show percentage price increases - see screen shot.

I only want the measure to return a value when "January 2019 Avg Price" and "January 2018 Avg Price" has a value. If either of these columns is blank, I dont want the measure to retrun a value. So in the example attached the cells which have either "infinity" or "-100.000%" would be blank.

PLease could somebody point me in the right direction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You could do it as follows 

IF( NOT( ISBLANK( [January 2019 Avg Price] ) ) && NOT( ISBLANK( [January 2018 Avg Price] ) ) , [January 2019 Avg Price] / [January 2018 Avg Price] - 1 )

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if you used the DIVIDE function instead?  I think it would solve at least some of those, not sure on all the issues though:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/divide-function-dax

@Anonymous wrote:

What if you used the DIVIDE function instead?  I think it would solve at least some of those, not sure on all the issues though:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/divide-function-dax

DIVIDE() is much safer than using the / operator as it has builtin protection against divide by 0 errors (which I think are producing the "infinity" result). But it will return 0 if the numerator is blank. So I think in this specific situation we need to manually check both the numerator and denominator.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You could do it as follows 

IF( NOT( ISBLANK( [January 2019 Avg Price] ) ) && NOT( ISBLANK( [January 2018 Avg Price] ) ) , [January 2019 Avg Price] / [January 2018 Avg Price] - 1 )

Hi Gosbell, Thank you for this.. can you help me with the following:

I have the following working perfectly.. 

IF(ISBLANK([Date.Actual.Start]),BLANK(),IF(ISBLANK([Date.Actual.Completion]),BLANK(), (DATEDIFF([Date.Actual.Start],[Date.Actual.Completion],DAY)))) 

but I want to add to above and combine it with the following, 
IF( NOT( ISBLANK( [Date.Actual.Start] ) ),
IF(ISBLANK([Date.Actual.Completion]),
DATEDIFF([Date.Actual.Start], [If.Today],DAY)))

This works fine. Thanks so much for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.