Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

charleshale
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

DAX in PowerBI wont recognize column header names (that it recognized earlier) !@#$!@#$!

Help! I am about to melt down into a puddle of frustration over something that has to be simple.

I have super simple table with measures that used to work prior to a crash.  The table at issue looks like this: (simple!)

Capture.PNG

Post recovery, I lost my DAX measures for this table.   No problem - they were simple for this part of the model....EXCEPT that now when I go to recreate those measures, DAX no longer recognizes my column headers.  Images below.   What in the world am I doing wrong?

Capture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

Note: I understand that I could, as a work around, (i) use power query to add the date as a new column, and (ii) define as measures themselves my table's columns (like Event Value and Total Events.   But, alas, I am stubborn and vexed by what I am missing that makes the column headers no longer work for measures.   

Additional point: I promoted headers, changed the columns to numbers, etc (m languate below)

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\Open Use\Local Posts By Ed.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=5, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Event Value", Int64.Type}, {"Total Events", Int64.Type}, {"patch id", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type1",{{"patch id", Int64.Type}, {"Month Index", Int64.Type}, {"Date", Int64.Type}, {"Event Value", Int64.Type}, {"Total Events", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Thank you for any advice!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@charleshale

Hi, the problem is in a measure you need to put a aggregation or function.

Example

Measure= Right(SelectedValue(Table1[Column]))

Maybe before the crash of your file  they are calculated columns  not measures.

Regards

Victor

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@charleshale,

Could you reporduce this issue using a sample pbix file and share the sample pbix file?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@charleshale,

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\Open Use\Local Posts By Ed.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=5, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Event Value", Int64.Type}, {"Total Events", Int64.Type}, {"patch id", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type1",{{"patch id", Int64.Type}, {"Month Index", Int64.Type}, {"Date", Int64.Type}, {"Event Value", Int64.Type}, {"Total Events", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Thank you for any advice!!!

It seems like the column names has been changed in power query(e.g.: change column names, promoted Headers, delete/add columns), have you click apply&close after the last modification in power bi? If you have, modify the column names in the report level and click refresh.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

2 things: 

1 - The names match the source CSV column names and remain unchanged

2 - I tried changing names and rerunning, and got the same result.

I ended up just doing the manual workaround.  If there's nothing obvious I'm doing wrong, I'd say this one smells like a bug that can occur when a file crashes and recovers.

@charleshale

Hi, the problem is in a measure you need to put a aggregation or function.

Example

Measure= Right(SelectedValue(Table1[Column]))

Maybe before the crash of your file  they are calculated columns  not measures.

Regards

Victor

Lima - Peru

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.