Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jsnbravo
Frequent Visitor

DAX in PBIX file vs AAS server

I just want to ask something with regards to DAX calculation performance. Currently, we are using Azure Analysis Services to host our model, and our PowerBI report has a live connection to it. Some of our DAX formulas are hosted in AAS, while some our in the PBIX file. 

Is there any difference in the performance of the DAX formula that is in AAS versus the one in the PBIX file locally? Or will both be processed in the AAS server since the model is there anyway? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, if you are connected to AS live, then there's no data stored in the file and in the service. How then can it do any processing on anything? By the way, you can always use XEvents on the server or Profiler.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
daxer-almighty
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Everything is processed on the server. There's no difference between a formula stored in the server and the one coming from outside. Exactly as there is no difference between a measure and a measure defined in a query that's submitted to the server.

@daxer-almighty I see. But is there anyway I can trace this? How can I know that it is my AAS server that is processing my DAX measure, and not the PowerBI Premium Service?

Well, if you are connected to AS live, then there's no data stored in the file and in the service. How then can it do any processing on anything? By the way, you can always use XEvents on the server or Profiler.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@jsnbravo - That is an interesting question. So are you saying that you have a measure that you created in your PBIX file that is connected to your SSAS live instance and you want to know if the calculation of the measures actually takes place on the SSAS instance, Power BI Desktop or both, correct?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler Yes, you understood my question clearly. Basically, I want to know if we are leveraging our AAS to perform all processing/calculation even though the DAX measure is in the PBIX file. 

To add context also, my report is hosted in a Premium workspace. How will I know if it is my AAS, and not the Premium capacity, that is performing the calculations?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jsnbravo , ideally there should not be as excution should happen at AAS server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.