Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xhurit
Frequent Visitor

DAX ignore row filter context, keep filters from slicer

Hello,

I have a visual with table that represents sales on Month-Customer-Product level. I need to create a measure that will display how many products were selected in Product slicer. The tricky part is that I need to show it in the table visual as well but the problem is that when I put my measure in the table, it is being evaulated at row level therefore it is limited to only one product. At first I tried with:

COUNTROWS ( VALUES ( 'DIM Product'[Material Name] ) )

But it always shows 1 for each row. Then I tried:

COUNTROWS ( ALLSELECTED ( 'DIM Product'[Material Name] ) )

and this time it is showing how many products for each customer and month are available in my Fact table. 

What I actually want it to show is 3 in every row, just like in card visual. So as I understand it correctly logic for this measure should be to ignore product filter from visual (row filter) and keep product filter from slicer. I can't use ALL function becasue it will erase selection from slicer as well. Is it possible in DAX to create such a measure?

PBIforum.png

Thanks in advance for any response!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @xhurit ,

Sorry for replying late. Based on your description, you need to create a seprate slicer table like this:

Product slicer = DISTINCT('Table'[Product])

Then create your measure to count:

Count = COUNTROWS(ALLSELECTED('Product slicer'[Product]))

To interact with the source table, you can create the relationship between two tables based on the product column and set the table visual filter like this:

tb.png

Attached a sample file in the below, hopes to help you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Usually in such a scenario you use disconnected tables to break out of the filter context, and then apply the filters manually via the measure.

@lbendlin can you elaborate on this? Should I duplicate Product table? What measure should I use then? Which table will be used as a slicer then? 

Hi @xhurit ,

Sorry for replying late. Based on your description, you need to create a seprate slicer table like this:

Product slicer = DISTINCT('Table'[Product])

Then create your measure to count:

To interact with the source table, you can create the relationship between two tables based on the product column and set the table visual filter like this:

tb.png

Attached a sample file in the below, hopes to help you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

can be reduced to 

Count = COUNTROWS('Product slicer')

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.