Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tryan
Frequent Visitor

DAX if statement syntax error

I am trying to write a simple if statement in power pivot using DAX.  I wrote many if statement that return either a 1 or a 0 depending on whether or not the logical statement is true or false.  However, when I try return a text value, such as:

=if([Exclude Column]=0,"Yes","No")

Then I get the error message below.  The same formula works with this syntax: =if([Exclude Column]=0,1,0)

Why is this error message appearing?  I've tried testing the logical statement on text columns and number columns, and there's seems to be no difference.  What's wrong with the formula?

============================
Error Message:

The following syntax error occurred during parsing: Invalid token, Line 1, Offset 23, ”.
The calculated column 'Query[CalculatedColumn1]' contains a syntax error. Provide a valid formula.

Call Stack:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingSandbox.ExecuteCaptureLogAndProcessResults(OperationType type, Boolean cancellable, Boolean raw, Boolean raiseEvents)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.SandboxTransaction.CommitUpdates()
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingView.Update(UpdateOptions updateOptions)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingView.UpdateAddedColumns(List`1 addedColumns, List`1 oldExpressions, IList`1 colIndices)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingView.ChangeFormulas(IList`1 colIndices, IList`1 names, IList`1 expressions)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.SandboxEditor.ChangeFormula(TableWidgetPanel currentTable, IList`1 colIndices, IList`1 names, IList`1 expressions, Boolean doFormulaBarCommit, IList`1 displayIndices)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Is this a calculated column or calculated measure?

If it is a calculated column, what is the datatype set to?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Is this a calculated column or calculated measure?

If it is a calculated column, what is the datatype set to?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark what if this was a calculated measure?

Phil,

Thanks for your quick reply.  That was the issue.  I was adding a calculated column to a dataset, and it was defaulting to a number format for some reason when it needed to be text.  When I reopened the file this morning, for some reason I didn't need to even reformat the calculated column.  When I wrote the formula it automatically sensed the column format needed to be text.  But here is are the steps for reformatting a column if anyone else views this thread:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-the-data-type-of-a-column-in-Power-Pivot-e62c582e-824f-...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.