Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX if else problems

Hello,

I have the following situations. I got 2 tables. table one contains time entries and table 2 contains the hourly rate which a customer has to pay. There are several conditions which impact which hourly rate should be matched to which timeentry. For example there are hourly rates for certain projects or for certain tasks. Yet there is like a "fall back". If there is no specific hourly rate for a project, the "standard" hourly rate of the customer should be used.

to but it simply i have an if clause that states

SUMX( hourly rate; IF (timeentry[Key] = hourly rate[Key]; hourly rate[value]; IF( timeentry[Customer] = hourly rate[Customer]; hourly rate[value])))

So for my understanding the second if should only be executed if the first if is wrong. Yet what i experience is, that the second if is executed everytime.

What i would like to have is that the second if clause is just executed if the first one does not get any results (thats how an if should work anyway)

Can someone help me please?

Regards

Dennis

9 REPLIES 9
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You may take a look at the post below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/DAX-Grouping-tagging/m-p/189391#M83354

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

Is there any relationship between your tables 'hourly rate'  and  'timeentry'? You should show more info on your model, ideally share the pbix.

In any case, the SUMX is run on the 'hourly rate' table but you are trying to access  timeentry[Key]. If this is a column, you have no row context for table timeentry in this expression and thus the code should yield an error. I am surprised it doesn't.  I'm guessing the problem with the condition not behaving as you expect will be related to that.        

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AlB,

So here is my sample:

First table hourly rate:

hourly rate.PNG

Key is a calculated column to later match the hourly rate with timeentries.

(1)  if "travel time" equals "Ja"; Key is "Fahrtzeit"

(2)  if "Task" is not empty; Key is Project + "|" + Task

(3)  if "Task" is empty and "Project" is not empty; Key is Project

(4)  else Key is Customer

These are like all the posible scenarios. A timeentry could be related to a travel time (1), to a task (2) or to a project (3). If no specific hourly rate is found, the standard customer rate should be matched (4).

This is my timeentries table:

time entries.PNG

You can ignore column worker. I got my desired results via multiple colums.

"hourly rate" (desired column) is "hourly rate 1" + "hourly rate 2" + "hourly rate 3"

hourly rate 1 = SUMX('Stundensätze'; IF('Stundensätze'[Key] = 'Zeiteinträge'[Key] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] > 'Stundensätze'[start] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] < 'Stundensätze'[end]; 'Stundensätze'[value]))
hourly rate 2 = SUMX('Stundensätze'; IF(ISBLANK('Zeiteinträge'[hourly rate 1]) && 'Zeiteinträge'[Project] = 'Stundensätze'[Key]; 'Stundensätze'[value]))
hourly rate 3 = SUMX('Stundensätze'; IF(ISBLANK('Zeiteinträge'[hourly rate 1]) && ISBLANK('Zeiteinträge'[hourly rate 2]) && 'Zeiteinträge'[Customer] = 'Stundensätze'[Key] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] > 'Stundensätze'[start] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] < 'Stundensätze'[end]; 'Stundensätze'[value]))

hourly rate DEV = SUMX('Stundensätze'; IF('Stundensätze'[Key] = 'Zeiteinträge'[Key] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] > 'Stundensätze'[start] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] < 'Stundensätze'[end]; 'Stundensätze'[value]; IF('Zeiteinträge'[Project] = 'Stundensätze'[Key]; 'Stundensätze'[value];IF('Zeiteinträge'[Customer] = 'Stundensätze'[Key] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] > 'Stundensätze'[start] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] < 'Stundensätze'[end]; 'Stundensätze'[value]))))

hourly rate DEV is what i would like to have (all the above in one column). I think the problem is, that the nested if clause does not work correctly as the if clauses are subsets of each other.

so its like

IF Condition 1 THEN 1

ELSE IF Condition 2 THEN 2

ELSE IF Condition3 THEN 3

ELSE 4

My understanding is that if one row falls to condition 1 the if clause should stop even if e.g. Condition 3 would also be correct for this row. But in my DAX for "hourly rate DEV" its not working like that.

i hope that helps.

P.S.: The tables are NOT related

@Anonymous

I formatted the code  bit so that we see clearly the three conditions you have (in red) and the corresponding result (in green)

hourly rate DEV =
SUMX (
    'Stundensätze';
    IF (
        C1 'Stundensätze'[Key] = 'Zeiteinträge'[Key] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] > 'Stundensätze'[start] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] < 'Stundensätze'[end];
        R1 'Stundensätze'[value];
        IF (
           C2 'Zeiteinträge'[Project] = 'Stundensätze'[Key];
           R2 'Stundensätze'[value];
            IF (
               C3 'Zeiteinträge'[Customer] = 'Stundensätze'[Key] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] > 'Stundensätze'[start] && 'Zeiteinträge'[Date] < 'Stundensätze'[end];
               R3  'Stundensätze'[value]
            )
        )
    )
)

I'm quoting you:

My understanding is that if one row falls to condition 1 the if clause should stop even if e.g. Condition 3 would also be correct for this row. But in my DAX for "hourly rate DEV" its not working like that.

What do you mean exactly? Can you try to explain this again? I don't quite get it.

If the condition 1 isn't met, the first IF continues to check the second IF, since that is what you have as result for the condition not being met (specified as third parameter of the first IF). It does NOT stop.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB

What i meant is:

If in your formatted code bit C1 is met, the rest should stop. Like if C1 = TRUE do R1 --> check for next row. In my case its like C1 = TRUE, so do R1 --> continue checking C2. Thats why the hourly rate DEV column is wrong.

For example:

For the highlighted row C1 = false, C2 = true (it should stop here), C3 would be true aswell. If the result of "hourly rate DEV" would be calculated correctly, it should be "100", but it is "180". That can only mean it did not stop after C2 = true.

highlight.PNG

For your other question:

Yes, i always need to sum 'Stundensätze'[value]. The results in hourly rate 1 , 2 and 3 are fine.

It's like i connect the two tables 1:1 with each other, but instead of connecting via a "simple" column (like Date) i need a quite complex rule of how to connect the tables. For each row in timeentries there can always only be one correct row in hourly rate.

@Anonymous

would it be possible to share the pbix? with dummy data if necessary

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB

How can i share a link here?

@Anonymous

You can post the URL to the file on platforms like Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. or you can upload the file to sites like this (no sign-in required) and post the URL here

@Anonymous

Does it make sense that you have  'Stundensätze'[value] always, in all three IFs?

S, regardless of which condition is met C1, C2 or C3, you take 'Stundensätze'[value] as value to add in the SUMX?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors