Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Brookied
Helper I
Helper I

DAX help needed to calculate Daily running totals

Hi Guys

Quick Intro, Darren Brooks is my name and I am the Head of CRM for Concern Worldwide in Ireland. I have recently started using PowerBi as a analytics tools for fundraising analysis and after building a number of very good dashboards I have undertaken to build a new dashboard for a project manager of a new cash campaign starting in Feb. 

Most of the elements are in place haowever the stakeholders are looking for a daily running total based on daily income. the object is to have a year on year chart to show acumulative daily income compared to the project run same time last year. 

The previous way i did this was to enter data into an excel table and save - i would then refresh the dashboard to give me the required graph output as the table was imported to PowerBI desktop. I think built the graph as a this year/last year representation. This allowed the stakeholders to view performance like of  the project on a daily basis and track if ahead or behind. 

Below is a snippet of example daily income, 

Column 1 Last year daily

Column 2 This year daily

Column 3 date of income

Column 4 blank

Column 5 Acm of daily from last year

Column 6 Acm of daily from thie year

acm daily.PNG

Last Year vs This year daily performance.

graph.PNG

So as you can see from the above we have a nice visual to track this year activity to last years.

What I am now doing is building the whole report in PowerBI so i have a table imported from sql and its format is

1/1/16       €34

2/1/16       €29

3/1/16       €98

4/1... i think you see where this is heading!

what i want to do is add a column that gives me a running total. from year i can then graph this and when i know income from this year I can apply the same DAX and then build my visual based on the two acm daily figures.

Sorry for being long winded and please ask if unsure of what help i need.

Thanks in advance.

Brookie 

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would start here:

http://www.daxpatterns.com/cumulative-total/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.