Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Saxon10
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

DAX formula settings issue

Hi, 

The power BI formula bar setting has been changed. Usually when I try to create any DAX formula (by using new calculate column option) the formula bar automatically explains what need to do but now it's look like completely changed. it's vary painful to read the  table or field name during DAX formula creation.

Example... 

If I am trying to create a Lookupvalue function it will automatically explain.... Lookupvalue (Result _column, search _column, search _value 1,..…,,,alternative _results)

but now its not showing the explanation when try to create a DAX formula by using new calculate column option.

It's looks like the settings changed somewhere else but I don't know how to fix it. 

Could you please guide me where went wrong and how can I fix the problem. 

Herewith attached the snapshot for understanding my problem. 

Before.... (Previous settings of DAX formula) 

IMG_20211017_223150.jpg

After (Current settings of DAX formula) 

IMG_20211017_223433.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Saxon10 
The oct version changed the DAX  guidance to the same style with Power Query, which is not announced in the feature summary. Power BI October 2021 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

My suggestion is to go back to the Sept version for now, and wait for the announcement or updates about this feature. Or if you want to use the newest version, you can try write your dax this online editor first.

DAX.do by SQLBI

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Saxon10 
The oct version changed the DAX  guidance to the same style with Power Query, which is not announced in the feature summary. Power BI October 2021 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

My suggestion is to go back to the Sept version for now, and wait for the announcement or updates about this feature. Or if you want to use the newest version, you can try write your dax this online editor first.

DAX.do by SQLBI

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @V-pazhen-msft,

Thanks for your reply and updating the information. 

I will go through the link based on your advice and I hope the DAX guidance back to old method in next version. 

how to get install the september version 
please let me know?
im facing a lot of disturbance]

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

same here. I don't remember this change being mentioned in the release notes either.  

@lbendlin, Thanks for your reply and sharing your experience.

It's really annoying during DAX formula creation. 

If I reinstall the power bi again maybe the problem automatically resolved?

Any idea or suggestion please.

You would have to reinstall the September 2021 version.  That would be unfortunate as the October version has a couple neat features.

how to install september version ?
please let me know

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.