Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rudivs
Frequent Visitor

DAX formula not returning a value for every day

I am calculating a fund balance (essentially account balance) as a measure:

Fund Opening Balance =
    CALCULATE(
        SUM('Fund Balances'[Opening Balance]),
            FILTER('Fund Balances','Fund Balances'[Year] = YEAR([First Day of Previous Month])),
            FILTER('Fund Balances','Fund Balances'[Month] = MONTH([First Day of Previous Month]))
    ) +
    CALCULATE(SUM('Fund Balances'[Movement]),
            FILTER('Fund Balances','Fund Balances'[Year] = YEAR([First Day of Previous Month])),
            FILTER('Fund Balances','Fund Balances'[Month] = MONTH([First Day of Previous Month]))
    )

where 

First Day of Previous Month = STARTOFMONTH(PREVIOUSMONTH(Dates[Date]))

Basically, the opening balance of this month is equal to the opening balance of the previous month + the movement in that month.

This calculation works, but does not return a value for every date, as can be seen in this table:empty_opening_balances.PNG

This results in an incorrect fund balance for many days, since fund balance = Fund Opening Balance + Fund Movement. Any idea what's wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rudivs
Frequent Visitor

I figured out what was causing the problem. One of the relationships with the Funds lookup table was set to bidirectional. Setting it to 'Single' sorted out the missing values.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
rudivs
Frequent Visitor

I figured out what was causing the problem. One of the relationships with the Funds lookup table was set to bidirectional. Setting it to 'Single' sorted out the missing values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.