Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MrGorkajuice
Frequent Visitor

DAX formula localization "conflict"

Hi,

I just installed Power BI on a new PC, and I seem to have ended up with some strange annoying combination of localizations - both my decimal seperator and my DAX argument seperator is comma. That means that the following formular is invalid:
Test=IF(1=1, true)
... because the comma is interpreted as a decimal seperator.
The fix:
Test=IF(1=1,0, true)

This is... unacceptably annoying. In Excel on the same PC, DAX arguments are seperated by semicolon, which is the expected behavior based on my Windows level regional settings.

Any idea what could lead to the above Power BI-specific confusion?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MrGorkajuice
Frequent Visitor

I found a fix.

It seems the issue occurs whenever my Windows Language settings uses "English (Denmark)" as Default input language. My own working theory is that this setting uses the english part to determine the parameter seperator in DAX functions, but the danish part to determine decimal seperator.

I can now switch between consistent english behavior (dot as decimal seperator and comma as parameter seperator) by using "English (United States)", or consistent danish behavior (comma as decimal seperator, semicolon as parameter seperator) by using "Dansk".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MrGorkajuice
Frequent Visitor

Oh right, sorry. I got an error message when I posted the question and couldn't find it... 

MrGorkajuice
Frequent Visitor

I found a fix.

It seems the issue occurs whenever my Windows Language settings uses "English (Denmark)" as Default input language. My own working theory is that this setting uses the english part to determine the parameter seperator in DAX functions, but the danish part to determine decimal seperator.

I can now switch between consistent english behavior (dot as decimal seperator and comma as parameter seperator) by using "English (United States)", or consistent danish behavior (comma as decimal seperator, semicolon as parameter seperator) by using "Dansk".

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MrGorkajuice , I think that is under regional settings.Choose the country that should change the setting

https://subscription.packtpub.com/book/big_data_and_business_intelligence/9781788290142/1/ch01lvl1se...

Didn't help 😞

In my "Global Regional Settings", I am only able to change "Application language" the language used by the Power BI UI, and "Model language" which seems to be only about standard formatting of dates, etc.

I have played with both, and neither seem to have any effect on the evaluation of DAX expressions - I can't change neither decimal seperator nor function argument seperator through either of these settings.

@MrGorkajuice 

there are some regional localization issues in PBI

I have a similar issue here https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Regional-settings-and-Month-names/idi-p/1008637

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.