Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kelsey024
Frequent Visitor

DAX formula help for multiple IF statements

I am trying to create a calc column (“Meter Charges by Acct type and season”) to calculate out the metered charges based on consumption for a specific account depending on Account type AND season (summer or winter). I am able to work out the formula in DAX if I am passing only 1 condition statement, but I need to be able to look at my conditions and then either multiply by the winter rate or else by the summer rate for 7  different account types all in 1 column.

This is more or less what I want:

ACCT TYPE

Season

Consumption

Meter Charges by Acct type and season

DF

Winter

IRR-R

Winter

IRR

Winter

BLDG

Winter

POOL

Winter

FTN

Winter

FNT

Winter

This is what I was trying to pass:

Acct Type Calc Rates = IF('DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="IRR" && ('DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter"),'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*1.06,'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*2.65)

OR

IF('DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="POOL" && ('DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter"),'DETAIL    WATER'[CONS]*1.06,'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*2.65)

OR

IF('DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="FTN" && ('DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter"),'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*1.06,'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*2.65)

OR

IF('DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="FNT" && ('DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter"),'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*1.06,'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*2.65)

OR

IF('DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="BLDG" && ('DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter"),'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*2.31,'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*2.31)

OR

IF('DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="DF" && ('DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter"),'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*2.31,'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*2.31)

OR

IF('DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="IRR-R" && ('DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter"),'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*0.24,'DETAIL WATER'[CONS]*0.24)

I was able to get Power BI to accept the syntax if I used a logical like || between each statement, but then it only returned 1’s and 0’s and not the calculation.

What do I need to do in order to make this work? Is it possible?

Thank you!

-Kelsey 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MarkS
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @Kelsey024

I think that this will do what you are looking for 

Meter Charges by Acct type and Season = 
'DETAIL WATER'[Consumption]
    * IF (
        'DETAIL WATER'[Season] = "Winter",
        IF (
            'DETAIL WATER'[Acct Type] = "IRR"
                || 'DETAIL WATER'[Acct Type] = "POOL"
                || 'DETAIL WATER'[Acct Type] = "FTN"
                || 'DETAIL WATER'[Acct Type] = "FNT",
            IF (
                'DETAIL WATER'[Acct Type] = "BLDG"
                    || 'DETAIL WATER'[Acct Type] = "DF",
            )
        ),
        IF (
            IF (
            )
        )
    )

However I would suggest creating a rates table and using the lookup function.  Rate Table like the following related to the other table by ACCT Type

RateTable.PNG

Then the calculated column formula 

Rate = LOOKUPVALUE(Rates[Rate],Rates[Season],'DETAIL WATER'[Season],Rates[ACCT Type],'DETAIL WATER'[Acct Type])

would get the correct rates and is easier to maintain if the rates change.

View solution in original post

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @Kelsey024

Here is an alternative.  Personally I'd put the weightings in a different table and join to that for the calcs

Acct Type Calc Rates = 

'DETAIL WATER'[CONS] * 
    SWITCH(
        TRUE() ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="IRR" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 1.06 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="IRR" , 2.65 ,
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="FTN" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 1.06 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="FTN" , 2.65 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="FNT" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 1.06 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="FNT" , 2.65 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="BLDG" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 2.31 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="BLDG" , 2.31 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="DF" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 2.31 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="DF" , 2.31 ,        
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="IRR-R" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 0.24 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="IRR-R" , 0.24  ,
        )

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tatyasaheb

Below if and code is not working in adding the column : need help

Break Excceded = IF(AND('GCC Break'[Unavailable Code]="Break",'GCC Break'[Unavailable Time]>30.5),1,IF(AND('GCC Break'[Unavailable Code]="Lunch",'GCC Break'[Unavailable Code]>30.5),1,IF(AND('GCC Break'[Unavailable Code]="Personal",'GCC Break'[Unavailable Time]>6.5),1,0)))

and below is the error:

DAX comparison operations do not support comparing values of type Text with values of type Number. Consider using the VALUE or FORMAT function to convert one of the values.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @Kelsey024

Here is an alternative.  Personally I'd put the weightings in a different table and join to that for the calcs

Acct Type Calc Rates = 

'DETAIL WATER'[CONS] * 
    SWITCH(
        TRUE() ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="IRR" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 1.06 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="IRR" , 2.65 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="FTN" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 1.06 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="FTN" , 2.65 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="FNT" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 1.06 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="FNT" , 2.65 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="BLDG" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 2.31 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="BLDG" , 2.31 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="DF" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 2.31 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="DF" , 2.31 ,        
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="IRR-R" && 'DETAIL WATER'[Season]="Winter" , 0.24 ,
        'DETAIL WATER'[ACCT TYPE]="IRR-R" , 0.24  ,
        )

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

MarkS
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @Kelsey024

I think that this will do what you are looking for 

Meter Charges by Acct type and Season = 
'DETAIL WATER'[Consumption]
    * IF (
        'DETAIL WATER'[Season] = "Winter",
        IF (
            IF (
            )
        ),
        IF (
            IF (
            )
        )
    )

However I would suggest creating a rates table and using the lookup function.  Rate Table like the following related to the other table by ACCT Type

RateTable.PNG

Then the calculated column formula 

Rate = LOOKUPVALUE(Rates[Rate],Rates[Season],'DETAIL WATER'[Season],Rates[ACCT Type],'DETAIL WATER'[Acct Type])

would get the correct rates and is easier to maintain if the rates change.

Both of these worked really well! I think you are right, it will be much easier for any future metered changes to use the lookupvalue function with a seperate table.

Thank you so much for your help! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.