Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PshemekFLK
Helper IV
Helper IV

DAX formula for allocation factor on different levels

Hello, 

I'm trying to create the "Allocation Factor" formula (last column) that would divide different granularities based on the level of hiearchy:

fcst granularity.PNG

Basically for each level it should calculate the share within the level above except for the product level where it takes manual input (Granularity 2 and 3).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, you can generally achieve percentages like that by using something like:

Measure = 

SUM('Table'[Column]) / CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Column]),ALLEXCEPT('Table'[Region],'Table'[Distributor],'Table'[Product]))

For sub product level for example.

You would have to string a bunch of these together in a SWITCH statement using ISINSCOPE to determine where you are in the hierarchy.

That's about as detailed as I can get without better information. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, you can generally achieve percentages like that by using something like:

Measure = 

SUM('Table'[Column]) / CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Column]),ALLEXCEPT('Table'[Region],'Table'[Distributor],'Table'[Product]))

For sub product level for example.

You would have to string a bunch of these together in a SWITCH statement using ISINSCOPE to determine where you are in the hierarchy.

That's about as detailed as I can get without better information. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello again,

Thanks for recommending ISINSCOPE formula. It helped me moved forward with the issue I had but after many hours of trial and error with DAX I still didn't manage to achieve what I hoped for. Let me explain in detail what I'm working on.

I have 3 fact tables:

bookings,

plan (subregion-product level) for "Sub-Region 2-1"

plan (distributor-product level) for "Sub-Region 2-10"

4 dimensions: calendar, geography, distributor, product

I want to allocate budget to the lowest level of each dimension table based on the actual bookings of prior year (for the levels that are not included in plan data). Below is the standard hierachy used for bookings between all dimensions:

hierarchy.PNG

Fact table for plan (subregion-product level) includes "IG-Sub-Region-2" and "Product Family Code" but does not include "Distributor_Name_IG (+)"

Fact table for plan (distributor-product level) includes everything down to "Product Family Code".

Using different granularities and INSCOPE formula I managed to create a partial allocation in the pbix file:

https://files.fm/u/pymrw9w8

1) Allocation of product budget within distributors in "Sub-Region 2-1" is not correct. It uses a split of last year instead of a split of products within subregion budget (each distributor in "Sub-Region 2-1" should have the same % split). It also doesn't sum up correctly: 

product issue.PNG

2) Totals of allocated budget are not correct. I was thinking about using HASONEVALUE or SUMMARIZE but how can I ensure that the totals will work on all levels and also very important: how can I ensure that if I delete some fields form hierarchy or switch them around that budget allocation will still work for all cases

Totals issue.PNG

Thanks!

Would anyone have any suggestions? Is it too complicated to fix with DAX?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.