Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX for comparing data

Hi there,

I have data in below mentioned format:

ProductProfitYear
A53.28%2014
B46.57%2014
C42.35%2014
D63.32%2014
E64.43%2014
F22.92%2014
G50.48%2014
A59.37%2015
B38.22%2015
C44.00%2015
D58.23%2015
E61.22%2015
F26.69%2015
G40.34%2015
Combine entity49.05%2014
Combine entity51.37%2015

I want to present data in line graph so that we can compare profit of selected product category against average profit of other 6 product. So that it shows how the select product has performed against all remaning products.

Presently I have created a combine entity with average of all for both year. So the graph is comparing the selected product with combine entity. But is there a way to compare a product with the other 5 product as single entity?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  - 

One way you can accomplish this would be to add a Calculated Column to make groupings of your  Categories:

Parent Category = 
IF(
    [Category] = "A",
    "A",
    "Other"
)

And then use the new Calculated Column as the Legend on your line chart, along with a simple Average as your value.

Otherwise, you could create 2 separate measures and add them both to your line chart:

Average Profit (A) = 
CALCULATE(
    AVERAGE(YourTable[Profit]),
    YourTable[Category] = "A"
)
Average Profit (Not A) = 
CALCULATE(
    YourTable[Category] <> "A"
)
I hope this helps. If it does, please Mark as a solution.
I also appreciate Kudos.
Nathan Peterson

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Two things can help

1. Getting overall Avg: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Calculate-Average-of-Total-in-Power-BI/td-p/253838

2. In the latest version, right-click on, measure and choose Quick Measure and then choose Avg on a category. That should give you a category. 

These two will help you to avoid the row you added.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @amitchandak,

Thanks for the article, it was informative. But i want to compare one category vs the other 6. Like in the Data there are 7 categories from A, B, C,D,E,F & G.  

Is there a way so that I can show on a line chart the value of A across years and avg value of B,C, D,E,F&G as whole (only 2 lines in chart)?

Regards,

Saket

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  - 

One way you can accomplish this would be to add a Calculated Column to make groupings of your  Categories:

Parent Category = 
IF(
    [Category] = "A",
    "A",
    "Other"
)

And then use the new Calculated Column as the Legend on your line chart, along with a simple Average as your value.

Otherwise, you could create 2 separate measures and add them both to your line chart:

Average Profit (A) = 
CALCULATE(
    YourTable[Category] = "A"
)
Average Profit (Not A) = 
CALCULATE(
    YourTable[Category] <> "A"
)
I hope this helps. If it does, please Mark as a solution.
I also appreciate Kudos.
Nathan Peterson
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous thanks for this!

It is working for category A vs all other category.

But how to make is dynamic. Like I am thinking of selecting the category from a slicer. Is there a way to make it dynamic? So that if user has selected category B from slicer, the graph shows 2 lines. one for B and another average  of all excluding B and similar for rest of the category.

Regards,

Saket 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.