Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brian0782
Helper II
Helper II

DAX filter performance issue

Hi

This is related to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Filter-table-based-on-less-than-and-greater-than-date-value...

This has been impemented but I'm experiencing performance issues when dragging a field into my tablix visualisation

My data model:

brian0782_0-1642076176289.png

The table 'Claim Amounts' has approx. 1.5m rows

I have a measure that sets a value based on the value selected in the Binder Dates[Date] slicer:

Date Filter = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Binder Dates'[Date])>=MAX('Binding Authority'[Binder Date From])&&SELECTEDVALUE('Binder Dates'[Date])<=MAX('Binding Authority'[Binder Date To]),1,0)

The problem I'm experiencing is that when I try to include Policy Reference in the below visual and apply a filter the query just times out. I guess it's because I'm trying to apply a filter on 1.5m rows

brian0782_0-1642087023413.png

Is there another solution to this? This works just fine except for the performance issue

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'd consider expanding the table with the dates so you have a row per day for each item:

Have a look at:

Date Expansion 

It takes a basic table with From and To dates and then in power query:

1) Adds a Number of Days custom column:

Number.From( [Date To] - [Date From] ) + 1

2) Sets it's data type as whole number.

3) Adds a custom column to contain a list of dates:

List.Dates([Date From], [Number of Days], #duration(1, 0, 0, 0))

4) Expands the list to new rows.

5) Removed other columns.

6) Set date column as a date.

I think you can use this to massively increase the speed of the filter on that table.

If you're then still having performance issues the only other thing I can think is to move the filter directly in DAX by getting VALUES ( 'Binding Authority'[UMR] ) and using TREATAS within calculate to move it directly over to your big table.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
smpa01
Super User
Super User

@brian0782  can you rewrite this IF statement by storing the calculations in a variable and using those variables might improve the performance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs

Hi, I tried this but didn't make much difference to performance:

Date Filter =

VAR DateFilter = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Binder Dates'[Date])>=MAX('Binding Authority'[Binder Date From])&&SELECTEDVALUE('Binder Dates'[Date])<=MAX('Binding Authority'[Binder Date To]),1,0)
RETURN DateFilter
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

You could try removing the bridge table and replacing it with a direct many many relationship with Binding Authority set to filter Claim Amounts.

My understanding is the engine should be more optimised for that.

Failing that you need to change the grain of the binding authority so each row represents a day. That makes the filter much simpler. Can share some code later. Sounds odd that adding more rows will speed it up but it massively will.

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi, I did have this as a many to many but had to change it to get a calculation working. I think when I had this has a direct many to many I was still experiencing performance issues

See post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Incorrect-total-in-many-to-many-relationship/m-p/2280665#M8...

I'd consider expanding the table with the dates so you have a row per day for each item:

Have a look at:

Date Expansion 

It takes a basic table with From and To dates and then in power query:

1) Adds a Number of Days custom column:

Number.From( [Date To] - [Date From] ) + 1

2) Sets it's data type as whole number.

3) Adds a custom column to contain a list of dates:

List.Dates([Date From], [Number of Days], #duration(1, 0, 0, 0))

4) Expands the list to new rows.

5) Removed other columns.

6) Set date column as a date.

I think you can use this to massively increase the speed of the filter on that table.

If you're then still having performance issues the only other thing I can think is to move the filter directly in DAX by getting VALUES ( 'Binding Authority'[UMR] ) and using TREATAS within calculate to move it directly over to your big table.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

So I have expanded out the dates and this has massively helped! Performance is hugely improved and no longer timing out.

I would never have thought adding extra rows would improve this.

The only drawback I would say is this would only work in a single select. I'm trying to think of a situation where a user might want to select multiple dates but at the moment this is working. 

Many thanks

What happens at the moment if they select multiple dates? I would expect it to work. 

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.