Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EmilyM2019
Helper II
Helper II

DAX calulation help for identifying blank values

Hello all,

I am new to Power BI and need some help please.

I'm looking for a DAX calculation to help me identify where a marker hasn't been added to a case. See table below where I have my columns Case ID, Case category and Marker. In this example the case categories Performance and Contract should also have a Marker but they don't. My Case category Pay doesn't need a marker.

What I think I want is a new column that looks to see if there is a marker, if there isn't it looks to see what the case category is, then based on that information it creates a flag in a new column to identify a case category that should have a flag doesn't have one.

I hope that makes sense. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Emily.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @EmilyM2019 ,
Go to Power Query, go to Add Column tab, Conditional Column and add along the lines below. You can put in multiple statements.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel
if flag.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EmilyM2019 ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JonV
Helper II
Helper II

You could also do an added column in the modeling tab (not in Power Query) using DAX like this:

New Marker = 
IF(
    OR(TableName[CaseCategory] = "Performance", TableName[CaseCategory] = "Contract") = TRUE,
    "Yes",
    TableName[Marker])

This simply checks to see if the Case Category is one of the two values required. If so, it returns "Yes". If not, it defaults to whatever the current Marker is.

If you want to do it in the Query Editor, you can do as Nathaniel suggested and then merge the columns to get a single value.

Hi @JonV ,

However, less of a performance hit when you use Power Query over a calculated column.

Nathaniel

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @EmilyM2019 ,
Go to Power Query, go to Add Column tab, Conditional Column and add along the lines below. You can put in multiple statements.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel
if flag.PNG

I ended up using the conditional column solution to identify the need for a marker. 

I then did nested IF to identify where there should be a marker but there wasn't one.

Thanks for all the help.

@Nathaniel_C  Thanks I will give this a go. Although the fact that I can't even post a table into this message thread doesn't fill me with much hope 😉 

Hi @EmilyM2019 ,

Try copy and paste. Below I copied this table from Power BI and pasted here. It makes it easy for your forum helpers to copy and paste into their enter data in Power BI.

Nathaniel

OrderMetric AHighest Metric Same Order

beta 421012
beta 421212
beta 711117
beta 711717
Delta 1012121
Delta 101521
Delta 101621
Alpha 1021015
Alpha 1021215
Alpha 1021515
Alpha 102315
Alpha 102715
ETA 521014
ETA 521214
ETA 521414
ETA 52514
ETA 52614

Case ID     Case category     Marker

1               Sickness              Yes

2                Pay

3               Performance

4               Performance

5               Time off              Yes

6               Pay

7               Retirement         Yes

8               Contract

Hi @EmilyM2019 
Try this: 
Your table worked fine!

Nathaniel

if flag1.PNG

if flag12.PNG

@Nathaniel_CI've literally tried everything and it won't let me paste in a table from Power BI (or excel). So apologies for my amaturish "table".

I've followed your instructions to create the new conditional column but I can't figure out how to put a marker in against one case category and not another.

Hi @EmilyM2019 ,

Use the Custom Colmun in Power Query Editor is suitable in this scenario, but @Nathaniel_C 's solution seems need add every catogory, so we can add a custom column using following folmula:

if [Marker]&"" <> "Yes" and [Case category] <> "Pay" then "Yes" else null

The full M query is here:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQrOTM7OSy0uBjIjU4uVYnWilYyA7IDESiAJ5hqDuKlFaflFuYl5yakwYRPswqZARkhmbqpCfloakplmqGaaAxlBqSWZRam5qXklSOosgGzn/LySosTkErDiWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Case ID" = _t, #"Case category" = _t, Marker = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Case ID", Int64.Type}, {"Case category", type text}, {"Marker", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "NeedMarker", each if [Marker]&"" <> "Yes" and [Case category] <> "Pay" then "Yes" else null)
in
    #"Added Custom"

11.PNG

If you want the calculated column, we can also create one use the following DAX formula:

NeedMarkerDax = 
IF ( AND ( [Marker] & "" <> "Yes", [Case category] <> "Pay" ), "Yes", "" )

OR

NeedMarkerDax =
IF ( AND ( [Marker] & "" = "", [Case category] <> "Pay" ), "Yes", "" )

12.PNG

If it doesn't meet your requirement, Please show the exact expected result based on the Tables that you have shared.

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Need the table, please.

Trying to post it 🙂 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.