Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iplaygod
Resolver I
Resolver I

DAX: access filter context of previous / next selected value in a list, or in a graph??

Hi All!
(see image below)
I have created a slicer that allows the user to select sales events to show them beside eachother in a graph.
Each event is one row in an events table.
The selection in the slicer filters the events table.

I have then created a measure that takes ONE event name (with its start dates etc) and makes the calculation based on that one active event. To achieve giving the measure only 1 event to calculate I apply the event name to the x axis of the column chart.
Thereby, for each column, only ONE event will be active in the filter context of that particular column.
So far so good. I can select events and see them appear in the graph. The measures work.

Now for the challange...
I would like to be able to compare the events to eachother, not only by looking at them, but by doing calculations comparing them. (diff %, diff in total sales amount etc)
So for example I would like to be able to compare the 1st event that is selected in the slicer to the 2nd event in the slicer.
The problem is that inside the filter context of the graph, the measure only sees ONE row of the event table, because that is the filter being applied by the graph (x-axis). The measure becomes completely blind as to what other events have been selected in the slicer.

How can I achieve the capability of comparing one event to the other?
I dont want to hardcode values because it needs to be selectable in the slicer.

I would like to be able to say (in pseudo-code)
MyComparison = Total Sales inside current column filter context - Total sales inside filter context of the PREVIOUS column in the graph

I want to avoid writing specific measures for specific events, because that is just stupid 🙂
I would like to handle this in a generic and flexible way to avoid bloating / re-writing a bunch of stuff.

Can you please give me an idea of a "pattern" / way of thinking / or model on how to achieve this?
Thanks alot

bild.png

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @iplaygod ,

I don't think it is possible, power bi not contains any features to cache history data.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors