Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

michelle8816
Frequent Visitor

DAX: YTD total

I have the data including customer, contract month, and contract value, and then i use DAX to creat sales and YTD sales by following measures.

Sales = sum(Sales[Contract Value])

YTD Sales = totalytd([Sales];Sales[Contract month])

however the calculation of YTD sales should be cumulated, but it did not like that.  I want to show the cumulative curve on Visualizations, how can i do that?

2016-06-15_110758.png2016-06-15_111506.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi

You need a date table in order to use the time intelligence functions in DAX.

A good start is looking at http://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/

BR

Erik Svensen

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi

You need a date table in order to use the time intelligence functions in DAX.

A good start is looking at http://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/

BR

Erik Svensen

but if there is a condition, only want to calculate YTD Sales or cumulative sales when the customer is belong to LEVEL 1, as the company has set up different leverls for different customers.

How  DAX expression shall be be?

@michelle8816

You can do the customer level with the existing dax formula by wrapping it in calculate.

For example:

YTD Total Level 1 customers = CALCULATE([YTD Total], 'Customers'[CustomerLevel]=1)

This would assume that your customer level number is found in your customer table in a column called CustomerLevel.

Provide the true names and we can come up with a more exact calculation.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks, i did try the solution you suggested, but i failed. Could you guide me how to get YTD total sales with Level 1 customers and Level 2 customers, and also how to use visualizations to show YTD sales Level 1, YTD sales Level 2, YTD total sales and Budget value?

MonthCustomer ContractCusomter levelContract value
MayA150
JunB2150
MayC1159
JunD1351
JunE221
JulyF255
AugG169
AugH2128

hi @michelle8816

1: You need  a calendar table. You can create using this:

MyCalendar = CALENDAR("01/01/2015";"31/12/2016")

2. Create a column with dates in Sales Table.

Date = DATE(2015;SWITCH('Sales-MI88'[Month];"January";1;"February";2;"March";3;"April";4;"May";5;"June";6;"July";7;"August";8;"September";9;"October";10;"November";11;"December";12);01)

3. Create a relationship between Sales and your Calendar table. (Date & Date)

4. It's time to the measures for YTD

YTD = if(CALCULATE(sum('Sales-MI88'[Contract value]))>0;TOTALYTD(Sum('Sales-MI88'[Contract value]);'MyCalendar'[Date]);BLANK())

YTDL1 = if(CALCULATE(sum('Sales-MI88'[Contract value]))>0;TOTALYTD(Sum('Sales-MI88'[Contract value]);'MyCalendar'[Date];'Sales-MI88'[Customer level]=1);BLANK())

YTDL2 = if(CALCULATE(sum('Sales-MI88'[Contract value]))>0;TOTALYTD(Sum('Sales-MI88'[Contract value]);'MyCalendar'[Date];'Sales-MI88'[Customer level]=2);BLANK())

5. Create the visuals

Lima - Peru

You should properly look at the CALCULATE and combine that with the necessary filter expression to solve that.

If you can supply a data example, I will try to give the expression needed a try 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.