Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

DAX TOTALYTD() - Duplicate Date Error

not able to visualize the YTD sales ... so what is wrong in the dax

Total Sales YTD = TOTALYTD(sales_attributes1[Total Sales],sales_attributes1[DATECREATED] )

the calculation error in sales[total sales ytd]: a date column containing a duplicate date was specified in the call to function 'datesytd' this is not supported

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Evening,

In tabular data models (power bi, tables & relationships) it's best to create a related date table to your fact table.

Your fact table typically contains all of your data, for example transaction log.

Your Date table is a representation of dates and the associated valeus as so you can filter against and use the columns in place of dates values from your fact table.

Here is a great template of a date table (https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/reference-date-table-in-dax-and-power-bi/); you can also google about for some simple Power Query to build you a super basic date table. Once you've added that in, join your fact and new date table with a relationship by the Date column in your fact table and the DateKey in the date table.

Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello you have to create a separate DateTable with contigous unique dates and relate the date columns.

There are dozens of posts how to do so. Here or here.

Total Sales YTD = TOTALYTD(sales_attributes1[Total Sales],DateTabel[Dates] )

Highlighted

hi, both i tried doing the same by using calendar function the issue is i am getting a blank totalytd

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors