Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Syntax help - Concatenate

I inherited an SSAS model that we visualize in PowerBI.  The report has stopped working and when I drill in, I get the following error in the model: Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Warning Calculated column 'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017'[ConcatforATUM] : The syntax for '(' is incorrect. (DAX(
CONCATENATE([Vendor],concatenate("^",concatenate([Product],'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017'("^",'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017'[SubProductCategory]))))
)). 

The formula is defined as: =CONCATENATE([Vendor],concatenate("^",concatenate([Product],'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017'("^",'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017'[SubProductCategory]))))

I have verified that the number of open parens is equal to closed, but that is the limit of my DAX knowledge.  Can anyone help?  Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

CONCATENATE([Vendor],
   concatenate("^",
      concatenate([Product],
         'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017'("^", <---------
         'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017'[SubProductCategory]))))

Where the arrow is, doesn't make any sense. The word CONCATENATE was dropped, and 'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017' does not belong there. Don't know ofcourse what it should be but the '('  in the middle is throwing the error 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

CONCATENATE([Vendor],
   concatenate("^",
      concatenate([Product],
         'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017'("^", <---------
         'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017'[SubProductCategory]))))

Where the arrow is, doesn't make any sense. The word CONCATENATE was dropped, and 'dTBMTaxonomy-FY2017' does not belong there. Don't know ofcourse what it should be but the '('  in the middle is throwing the error 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Also, it is often more readable if you use '&' like this:

Column = 'Table'[TextColum] & "^" & 'Table'[NumberColumn]

That is much more readable than nesting multiple CONCATENATE statements..

Kind regards

Djerro123

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.