Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX SWITCH STATEMENT not working properly

Hello, I am just trying to make a mesure by using SWITCH statement. but it is not working properly. I don't know why.SWITCH.PNGHere is my code. I feel like there is something wrong with SWITCH statement because when I tried the code below in which I excluded SWITCH statement

Without SWITCH.PNG

it works. I got a right number which is -10.64%. With SWITCH, I got -100% which is not correct. I will also attach the table below that I created myself.

table2.PNG

There is another table called "FI OperationsStatementData", but it being directquery from SQL server, so I can't attach here. Can anyone answer my question? I will appreciate any helps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test and reasearch, I have added a filter in your [Construction Income (Budget)] measure and now it can show the correct result:

Construction Income (Budget) = CALCULATE(SUM('Budget For Meters'[Budget]), FILTER(ALL('Budget For Meters'),'Budget For Meters'[Description] = "1.Construction Income"))

fliter.png

Attached the modifed dummy file, please check it: Dummy.pbix

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Since not certain what did your whole dataset look like, one reason that could cause this issue is that the data type of these two measures are not the same, please check whether the data type of the switch statement and the previous measure are different.

Because your calculation logic does not change, the result should not be different due to a switch statement.

Or you can consider sharing a dummy .pbix file for further discussion to determine the specific reason if the data type is same.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I think data type is same, so I attach here my dummy pbix file. Basically, I am trying to make a measure that calculates (Actual % / Budget %) - 1. "Payroll & Benefits" and "Indirect Expense" got right percentage, but "Fuels" not getting a right percentage which is -10/64%. I also attach a screenshot to make you understand better what I am saying.

SWITCH4.PNGhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1hSHiM-QZ9g4arOpc7wV0a3Iu7nGCeWT5/view?usp=sharing 

p.s. Construction income is negative number because it is condisered as credit, all others debit. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test and reasearch, I have added a filter in your [Construction Income (Budget)] measure and now it can show the correct result:

Construction Income (Budget) = CALCULATE(SUM('Budget For Meters'[Budget]), FILTER(ALL('Budget For Meters'),'Budget For Meters'[Description] = "1.Construction Income"))

fliter.png

Attached the modifed dummy file, please check it: Dummy.pbix

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yingjl, I tried your code and it works! Really appreciate your help.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

use daxformatter.com to put your formula into a readable format, and maybe find out where your logic breaks down.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here you go.SWITCH2.PNG

here's how SWITCH() is supposed to work for your scenario (there are other options too)

SWITCH( TRUE(),<first test>,"first result",<second test>,"second result",...,"alternative result")

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, I gave you wrong code. This is right one.

SWITCH2.PNG

You are using CALCULATE() without any filter context modifiers.  That means the calculation will only work on the current context of your visual which is very likely not what you want to do (and which doesn't really need Calculate).  What are you actually trying to calculate?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for late response. What do you mean by I am using CALCULATE () without any filter context modifiers? (Sorry again I am a beginner of Power BI.) Basically, I created this measure compare budget and actual like how much actual is different from budget and representing as percentage. The thing is, without SWITCH statement, my code is working. I got a number I want. However, when I add SWITCH statement, it is not working. I am not sure why this is happening.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.