Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mixednuts
Helper II
Helper II

DAX SUMMARIZE() changes datatype of <GroupbyColumn> from Date to DateTime

Any ideas why the DAX SUMMARIZE() table function should change the data type of a Date column used in the GroupByColumns parameters to a DateTime data type in the resulting table? 

For example, a column[Start Date] of type 'Date' with a value '1/6/2018' when used in the GroupByColumns list changes to type 'DateTime' with a value '1/6/2018 12:00:00 AM'

I wonder why the data typing isn't preserved?

I know I can explicitly reset the datatype, but I would have thought it should not be necessary. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mixednuts 

We have got the confirmation from EG team:

It's by design. I found this page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-data-types but the section on date/time is not clear. I have updated the docs (should be published in the next 24 hrs). 

It'll be updated as follows. highlighted the relevant sections.

Date/time types

Power BI Desktop supports five Date/Time data types in Query View. Both Date/Time/Timezone and Duration are converted during load into the model. The Power BI Desktop data model only supports date/time, but they can be formatted as dates or times independently.

Date/Time – Represents both a date and time value. Underneath the covers, the Date/Time value is stored as a Decimal Number Type. So you can actually convert between the two. The time portion of a date is stored as a fraction to whole multiples of 1/300 seconds (3.33 ms). Dates between years 1900 and 9999 are supported.

Date – Represents just a Date (no time portion). When converted into the model, a Date is the same as a Date/Time value with zero for the fractional value.

Time – Represents just Time (no Date portion). When converted into the model, a Time value is the same as a Date/Time value with no digits to the left of the decimal place.

Date/Time/Timezone – Represents a UTC Date/Time with a timezone offset. It’s converted into Date/Time when loaded into the model. The Power BI model doesn't adjust the timezone based on a user's location or locale etc. If a value of 09:00 is loaded into the model in the USA, it will display as 09:00 wherever the report is opened or viewed.

Duration – Represents a length of time. It’s converted into a Decimal Number Type when loaded into the model. As a Decimal Number type it can be added or subtracted from a Date/Time field with correct results. As a Decimal Number type, you can easily use it in visualizations that show magnitude.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mixednuts 

We have got the confirmation from EG team:

It's by design. I found this page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-data-types but the section on date/time is not clear. I have updated the docs (should be published in the next 24 hrs). 

It'll be updated as follows. highlighted the relevant sections.

Date/time types

Power BI Desktop supports five Date/Time data types in Query View. Both Date/Time/Timezone and Duration are converted during load into the model. The Power BI Desktop data model only supports date/time, but they can be formatted as dates or times independently.

Date/Time – Represents both a date and time value. Underneath the covers, the Date/Time value is stored as a Decimal Number Type. So you can actually convert between the two. The time portion of a date is stored as a fraction to whole multiples of 1/300 seconds (3.33 ms). Dates between years 1900 and 9999 are supported.

Date – Represents just a Date (no time portion). When converted into the model, a Date is the same as a Date/Time value with zero for the fractional value.

Time – Represents just Time (no Date portion). When converted into the model, a Time value is the same as a Date/Time value with no digits to the left of the decimal place.

Date/Time/Timezone – Represents a UTC Date/Time with a timezone offset. It’s converted into Date/Time when loaded into the model. The Power BI model doesn't adjust the timezone based on a user's location or locale etc. If a value of 09:00 is loaded into the model in the USA, it will display as 09:00 wherever the report is opened or viewed.

Duration – Represents a length of time. It’s converted into a Decimal Number Type when loaded into the model. As a Decimal Number type it can be added or subtracted from a Date/Time field with correct results. As a Decimal Number type, you can easily use it in visualizations that show magnitude.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Thank you Dina,

That was informative. Just a clarification? For Date/Time/Timezone data types you say the model does not adjust these to the user's locale. I assume this is not in reference to Power Query whose functions will convert to local time where ever a Date/Time/Zone is expected and a Date or Date/Time is supplied?

I understand the internal distinction between Dates and Date/Times being Whole numbers v Fractionals and I understand that it is more about formatting than storage, however I still find it curious that even though the groupby column's format is known, it cannot be carried through? 

I do appreciate the documentation being updated. Thanks!

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mixednuts 

Thanks for catching this. I have reported it to the internal team for better explanation. will keep you updated. 

quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.