Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FergalK
Helper I
Helper I

DAX STDEV.P giving wrong value

Hi

I have a formula in my Tabular SSAS model to calc. the Std. Deviation as follows: 

RMAQtyStdDev:=CALCULATE (STDEV.P(drct_rtns[rma_rcpt_qty]  ), ALLSELECTED(drct_rtns))

..but it is giving the wrong value (8) the correct value (when using Excel formula on my pivot table "=STDEV.P(B5:B101)") is 15.

I can't understand why DAX / SSAS Tabular is giving me the wrong value.

Appreciate any/all help!!!

Thanks,

Fergal

below are the values upon which the StdDev is being calculated:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have rewritten my source query to combine both columns into a single column - issue was that zeros in other column were causing inciorrect average to be calculated

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi FergalK,

Couldn't reproduce your issue. The STDEV.P works well on my side. 

Capture.PNG  

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy

Thanks for the reply, it does seem strange that it does not work correctly for me.

The only real difference is that you are using the formula in PowerBI and I am using it in SSAS tabular model but they should yield the same value.

I am wondering if it is not being calculated correctly in my pivot table because it does not recognise the filters correctly? But note thatr the Stdev value does actually change when I change a filter value in the pivot table, so it does seem like it acknowledges the filter values

Fergal

Actually I think I may know what the issue is, it seems like the STDEV is including zero values too - how could I alter for formula to remove zeros from the STDEV calc?

thanks!

RMAQtyStdDev:=CALCULATE (STDEV.P(drct_rtns[rma_rcpt_qty]  ), ALLSELECTED()  )

I have rewritten my source query to combine both columns into a single column - issue was that zeros in other column were causing inciorrect average to be calculated

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.