Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hwr7dd
Frequent Visitor

DAX Rolling 7 Day Average in User Selected Period

Hello,

I have data like so:

7 Day Rolling Census =
VAR sumper =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Pace Alert Rollup'[Census] ),
        DATESINPERIOD (
            'Pace Alert Rollup'[Date],
            MIN ( 'Pace Alert Rollup'[Date] ),
            DAY
        )
    )
VAR daysinperiod =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Pace Alert Rollup'[Date] ),
        DATESINPERIOD (
            'Pace Alert Rollup'[Date],
            MAX ( 'Pace Alert Rollup'[Date] ),
            DAY
        )
    )
RETURN
    sumper / daysinperiod

I want the user to be able to select the period which the 7 day rolling average is running. For example:

hwr7dd_0-1620574489239.png

This table shows with a max date of 1/07 and no min date (starting rolling period from minimum of data in the dataset).

hwr7dd_1-1620574560875.png

This table filtered out the first couple days of the dataset, but still starts the rolling calculation as if there was no date filter. This table should read something like this:

DateRolling CensusCensus
1/03/2121992199
1/04/212246 ((2199+2293)/2)2293
1/05/212312((2199+2293+2445)/3)2445
1/06/212349((2199+2293+2445+2459)/4)2459
1/07/212375((2199+2293+2445+2459+2483)/5)2483

So essentially Im wondering how to get that DATESINPERIOD function to take the dates set by a filter instead of those in the dataset. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@hwr7dd , I think you have take cumm approch with allselected . assuming date range is selected 

Cumm Avg= divide( CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=max(date[date]))) ,
CALCULATE(distinctcount(Date[Month-Year]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=max(date[date])), not(isblank(Sales[Sales Amount]))))

or like

Cumm Avg= divide( CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=max(date[date]) && date[date] >=max(date[date])-7)) ,
CALCULATE(distinctcount(Date[Month-Year]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=max(date[date]) && date[date] >=max(date[date])-7 ), not(isblank(Sales[Sales Amount]))))

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@hwr7dd , I think you have take cumm approch with allselected . assuming date range is selected 

Cumm Avg= divide( CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=max(date[date]))) ,
CALCULATE(distinctcount(Date[Month-Year]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=max(date[date])), not(isblank(Sales[Sales Amount]))))

or like

Cumm Avg= divide( CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=max(date[date]) && date[date] >=max(date[date])-7)) ,
CALCULATE(distinctcount(Date[Month-Year]),filter(allselected(date),date[date] <=max(date[date]) && date[date] >=max(date[date])-7 ), not(isblank(Sales[Sales Amount]))))

@amitchandak 
Sometimes I can't believe how hard you work, and how much you know looking through these forums. Thanks!

hwr7dd
Frequent Visitor

Also, quick note for anyone who may find this in the future, I had to change -7 days to -6 days to line up with my correct rolling 7 day avg. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.