Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bw70316
Helper V
Helper V

DAX Returning only One Value instead of all

I have a budgetary report I have been working on and I have been working to get the Expenditure by Month by using the following equation:

Expensed Measure = SUM(Table1[Expensed])

Per Month total = CALCULATE([Expensed Measure],DATEADD(Table1[Exp Date],-1,MONTH))

Monthly Totals = [Expensed Measure]-[Per Month total]

This yields:

dazaroony.png

If change it to -2 I only get the correct data for September. How do I get ALL of the data? I have tried inputting an ALL funtion but can't figure it out. Also, I was able to get this to work with raw data, which means there could be something corrupted in my PBI report file?
2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@bw70316,

Try using PREVIOUSMONTH instead of DATEADD and take a look at https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/filter-arguments-in-calculate/.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

DATEADD(Table1[Exp Date],-1,MONTH) against Aug 31, 2018 literally brings back July 31, 2018, which you don't have in your dataset.

Create a calendar table ( DateTab = CALENDARAUTO() ) if you don't have one, and create a 1-to-many relationship between it and Exp Date.

Then use PREVIOUSMONTH()

Per Month total = CALCULATE([Expensed Measure], PREVIOUSMONTH(DateTab[Date]) )

If that doesn't work, please provide a sample of your raw data.

Hope this helps

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.