Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FrancescaLu
Frequent Visitor

DAX - Retrieve a value in one column for max occurence of distinct values based on another column

Hi,

First post, sorry for the confusing subject, in fact i'm really struggling to find a solution. Hopefully, somebody could help me find the correct DAX statement.

My goal is to have a column with the value of another column associated to the max occurence of distinct values based on another column. I can explain better with an example.

My set of data is something like this table:

IDValueColumn1
A3X
A3X
A3X
B1X
C1X
D2Y
E4Y
E4Y
F2Y

What I want is to select "Value" associated to the max number of different ID, and I want to do this for each different value of "Column1", so the result has to be like this:

IDValueColumn1Result
A3X1
A3X1
A3X1
B1X1
C1X1
D2Y2
E4Y2
E4Y2
F2Y2

Please, advise if not clear enough.

Thank you a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrancescaLu ,

Please check below formulas.

count_ = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Value],'Table'[Column1]))

Measure = 
var max_ = MAXX(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Column1]),[count_])
return
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Value]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Column1]),[count_]=max_))

vjaywmsft_0-1658209555256.png

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrancescaLu ,

Please check below formulas.

count_ = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Value],'Table'[Column1]))

Measure = 
var max_ = MAXX(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Column1]),[count_])
return
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Value]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Column1]),[count_]=max_))

vjaywmsft_0-1658209555256.png

Best Regards,

Jay

Thank you @v-jayw-msft, this is a real good solution, but i need the result displayed in a new column contained in the table. The problem is that with a measure i can only see it on dashboards.

Hi @FrancescaLu ,

The above formulas also work for calculated column.

vjaywmsft_0-1658284643527.png

Best Regards,

Jay

parry2k
Super User
Super User

sorry, I'm still not very clear about what you are trying to achieve. Maybe it's me

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I try to explain with other words. I want to retrieve for each value of Column1, the value contained in "Value" that recurs the maximum number of times for different ID

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@FrancescaLu not really clear, why the max number for A will be 1, what you are referring to as number?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi, thank you fir answering!

I would put 1 also for A becouse for X i got A with value 3, but it appearse only one time. Instead, value 1 appearse 2 times, with B and C.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.