Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gregs138
Helper I
Helper I

DAX Question on YTD Totals

So I have tried the following expression to calculate a running/cumulative total without any luck so far.

A quick web search seems to imply this should work but some examples were from a Power Pibot model where they "set the date dimension".

This is a simple fact table joined to a date dimension via dimDayId(which is an integer, there is no actual date type field in the fact table)

Local Period Balance Amount YTD = 
CALCULATE(
sum(factGLBalance[Local Periodic Balance Amt]),'prd dimDate', 'prd dimDate'[Year] = YEAR((now())))

It almost works, but I do not get a running total, the results look like:

Jan 2017   $25.00

Feb 2017   $15.00

March 2017 $30.00

Q1    $70.00

What I need is

Jan 2017   $25.00

Feb 2017  $40.00

March 2017 $70.00

Q1 70

Any suggestions or pointers for Cumulative totals?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Solution was listed here at the bottom: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/time-intelligence-in-power-bi-desktop/

If you are using a dimDate , then joining on Integer Date will not "Mark the Date Dim as Date Dim"  idea.  You have to create a dummy date table as illustrated towards the middle of that article and setup a join between it and the date dim.  This basically "tricks" the model into thinking that the Date field (not dimDayId)  is the primary key.  

It's sort of a workaround, but it gets it done.

For cumulative totals by month the formulas ended up being:

Local Periodic Balance Amount (measure in the table)  this just gives the monthly total

Local Period Balance Amt Cumulative = TOTALYTD(sum(factGLBalance[Local Periodic Balance Amt]),'prd dimDate'[Date],DATESYTD('prd dimDate'[Date]))      

Local Period Balance Amt PY Cumulative = TOTALYTD(sum(factGLBalance[Local Periodic Balance Amt]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('prd dimDate'[Date]))

Local Period Cumlative YoY Variance = [Local Period Balance Amt Cumulative] - [Local Period Balance Amt PY Cumulative]

Local Period YoY Variance % = DIVIDE( [Local Period Cumlative YoY Variance] ,[Local Period Balance Amt PY Cumulative])

Hope that helps anyone having similar issue!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

here you will find a little example

I guess that the Measure

Amount YTD = 
CALCULATE(
	SUM(Table1[Amount]),
	FILTER(
		ALL('Calendar'),
		'Calendar'[DateIndex] <= MAX('Table1'[DateIndex]) &&
		'Calendar'[Year] = MAX('Calendar'[Year])
	)
)

creates what you are looking for

2017-07-21_8-43-45.png

Whereas using Year(Now()) could be become difficult to explain to your audience in some reports

2017-07-21_8-49-26.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Solution was listed here at the bottom: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/time-intelligence-in-power-bi-desktop/

If you are using a dimDate , then joining on Integer Date will not "Mark the Date Dim as Date Dim"  idea.  You have to create a dummy date table as illustrated towards the middle of that article and setup a join between it and the date dim.  This basically "tricks" the model into thinking that the Date field (not dimDayId)  is the primary key.  

It's sort of a workaround, but it gets it done.

For cumulative totals by month the formulas ended up being:

Local Periodic Balance Amount (measure in the table)  this just gives the monthly total

Local Period Balance Amt Cumulative = TOTALYTD(sum(factGLBalance[Local Periodic Balance Amt]),'prd dimDate'[Date],DATESYTD('prd dimDate'[Date]))      

Local Period Balance Amt PY Cumulative = TOTALYTD(sum(factGLBalance[Local Periodic Balance Amt]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('prd dimDate'[Date]))

Local Period Cumlative YoY Variance = [Local Period Balance Amt Cumulative] - [Local Period Balance Amt PY Cumulative]

Local Period YoY Variance % = DIVIDE( [Local Period Cumlative YoY Variance] ,[Local Period Balance Amt PY Cumulative])

Hope that helps anyone having similar issue!

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

I would try something like this

Local Period Balance Amount YTD = 
CALCULATE(
sum(factGLBalance[Local Periodic Balance Amt]),
Filter(
ALL('prd dimDate'),
'prd dimDate'[integerColumn] <= max('prd dimDate'[integerColumn] )
&& 'prd dimDate'[Year] = YEAR(now())
)
)

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

hey,

let me direct your attention to this site:

http://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/

hope this helps

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks Tom, but I have looked at at that example, It is pretty similar to what I have posted and still no dice.

Actually, Tom's code is not that similar to what you initially posted and from what info you have provided his solution should work.  If it does not, then I would check to make sure you have don't have other filters causing issues. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.