Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D3nnisd
Frequent Visitor

DAX Product() function

Hi,

I'm a IT student currently self learning DAX as part of my upcomming internship.  I am using this guide to learn and Contoso Sales sample for this part.  So far its fairly straight forward, until now. I haven't been able to figure out the use of Product.

The guide tells me to use the Product() function and i'm just taking over what the guide says. But now i get a very different result than the guide tells me i should have.

The guide tells me that the result of using Simple Product = PRODUCT(Channel[Channel]) should be 24, but i get 0.791440856024882.  See the following screenshot for refference:

Product_function.PNG

As far as the guide tells me, product should have done 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 = 24 . The information on the MSDN docs doesnt tell me much either.

Anyone able to give me a answer?

Thanks allot!

Cheers, Dennis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Channel column is defined as Whole Number, it should be a Decimal - do that and it returns 24.

That said - it's funny how it behave with an integer! I suggest submitting the issue to Microsoft.

Marco Russo - SQLBI

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
D3nnisd
Frequent Visitor

@marcorusso@Greg_Deckler@Anonymous

It's a confirmed bug, it'll be fixed in November release!

Thanks for the input!

~ Dennis

D3nnisd
Frequent Visitor

Alright , Thanks !

I have made a bug report here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Product-not-giving-right-results-if-data-type-is-a-whole-num...

Thanks for the information! I'll keep on learning :)!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Wow, I've been experimenting with this and I can't make heads or tails of what the PRODUCT function is doing. I get some bizarre results such as infinity, etc. that make absolutely no sense what-so-ever. @marcorusso do you have any idea what the PRODUCT function is doing here because it certainly does not seem like it is returning the PRODUCT of a column. I cannot make heads or tails of what it is actually doing.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The Channel column is defined as Whole Number, it should be a Decimal - do that and it returns 24.

That said - it's funny how it behave with an integer! I suggest submitting the issue to Microsoft.

Marco Russo - SQLBI

Thanks @marcorusso ,  @Greg_Deckler and @Anonymous for replying!

Changing it to a decimal did the trick.

This raises 2 questions:

- Where is that 0.79 comming from?

- What is the absolute diffrence between a whole number and a decimal. Can the decimal be seen as a float and a whole number as a integer?  But this still doesnt explain where the 0.79 come from.

I will report the issue to Microsoft.

Yes, decimal is a float and whole number is an integer.

I don't know why there is this bug - I just imagined that PRODUCT is a function designed to work with decimal numbers because you usually use it to compute compound interests. However, it should work with integers too - Microsoft should answer for that, I would say it's a bug.

Marco Russo - SQLBI

Thanks @marcorusso, that does solve the issue by making it a decimal number. But, as you said, weird!! I have be believe that is a bug.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can get productx to give the expected result

For example on a table consisting of integers 1-9

Measure = 

PRODUCTX ( VALUES ( Table1[Column1] ), Table1[Column1] )

returns 362,880 as expected.

However, 

Measure = 

PRODUCTX ( Table1, Table1[Column1] )

returns 0

Which is identical to just PRODUCT() doesnt return the expected result.

So a workaround for this is to use PRODUCTX over VALUES however as for why PRODUCT itself isnt behaving as expected I have no idea. My instinct is that this is a bug but I cant be sure.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.