Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Problem to Aggregate a Filtered SUM

Hi All,

A DASHBORD provides information on Total Demand by Report's Months. There are several reports staked one over the other, and to compare demand differences of a past month report to current month report we use DAX. DAX aggregates SUMs filtered by report Month. So that Demand Curr (Month 0) is 192M and Demand Qty M-1 (Month -1, Last Column) is 201M.

The two months show a difference of ~9.7Millions (at the bottom) under the col Delta.

DAX Problem.JPG

To verify that the sum was correct, I exported the same underlying data to an excel file:

1. The data under  Demand Curr aggregates fine.
  2. But the aggregation on Month -1 is wrongly computed by DAX (see second pic below). The sum aggregation in the exported file is of 188.6M compared to 201M produced by DAX.

It seems that DAX has some difficulties with filtered high volume data; though it is weird that it does it well in the first month, but not for the second...

DAX Problem 1.JPG

Details on the DAX formulae:

DAX:

Month of the report:

[REPORT_MONTH]: contains months 0,-1,-2,-3, etc. and records are tied to a date row/col.

Month0:

_Month = MAX('Lycos Extract MALO_NODE_FORECAST_SKU_MATRIX_TEST'[REPORT_MONTH])
Month -1
_Month -1 = [_Month]-1

Demand on the current month:
_Demand Curr =
var z=[_Month]
RETURN
CALCULATE(SUM('Lycos Extract MALO_NODE_FORECAST_SKU_MATRIX_TEST'[Total Demand])|'Lycos Extract MALO_NODE_FORECAST_SKU_MATRIX_TEST'[REPORT_MONTH]=z)

Demand on the month -1:
_Demand QTY M -1 =
Var z=[_Month -1]
RETURN
CALCULATE(SUM('Lycos Extract MALO_NODE_FORECAST_SKU_MATRIX_TEST'[Total Demand])|'Lycos Extract MALO_NODE_FORECAST_SKU_MATRIX_TEST'[REPORT_MONTH]=Z)

Thanks in Advance,

David Maradiaga
1 REPLY 1
AiolosZhao
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous ,

Without sample data, I think it's hard to figure out what the problem is.

I think you can try to remove most of dimensions, just keep the dimension which only have few values, then you will find why the total is different than sum of every rows.

If not, you may need to track the details I think.

Thanks.

Aiolos Zhao

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.