Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sandeep_PBI
Frequent Visitor

DAX Previous Month Function Not working

Hi,

I have a simple excel sheet with 2 columns(Month, Sales) with sales related data for 4 months.

And all i am trying to do is create a new colum which gives me last month's sales using a DAX function against each month.

I have tried measures with following calculations

Measure_TotalSales = SUM('Sheet1 (2)'[sales])

Measure_PrevMonthSales = CALCULATE([Measure_TotalSales],dateadd('Sheet1 (2)'[Month],-1,MONTH))

Measure_PrevMonnth_PREVIOUSMONTH = CALCULATE(SUM('Sheet1 (2)'[sales]),PREVIOUSMONTH('Sheet1 (2)'[Month]))

I have tried to create a calculated column with following calculations

Column_PrevMonthSales = CALCULATE([Measure_TotalSales],dateadd('Sheet1 (2)'[Month],-1,MONTH))

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on top of that i have also tried

http://www.dutchdatadude.com/power-bi-pro-tip-making-date-time-calculations-work-time-intelligence/

and downloded  files from Web and copied formulas as specified in the following link

http://powerbi.tips/2016/07/measures-month-to-month-percent-change/

followed step by step as specified the teh link above, but i still see blank rows for the prev month calc.

Could this be a bug or do i need to use a different version of PBI desktop?

5 REPLIES 5
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sandeep_PBI

Firstly for time intelligence funtions to work properly, you must have a Date Field.

I notice in your 

Measure_PrevMonnth_PREVIOUSMONTH = CALCULATE(SUM('Sheet1 (2)'[sales]),PREVIOUSMONTH('Sheet1 (2)'[Month]))

you are refering to Month and not on Date column.

Can you try amending your measures.

If it works please accept this as solution and also give KUDOS.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi,

Thanks for your response, but even though the name says month, it actually is a date fiel. i createde this sample data and made sure the format is date from the modelling options for the fiel.

All i was able to prodce was a grand total of previous month's sales. meaning, for the Previous month column  i see blanks agaist each month (After grouping by month for the date field) but there is a grand total which shows up for that column and the number is correct , it is sum of all the months except the first one!

@Sandeep_PBI

Most of the time intelligence functions require a standard Date table to work correctly. In this scenario, you can use CALENDAR function to create the Date table, and use Month column to create a relationship between your fact table and this Date table. Then PREVIOUSMONTH function should work. The formula below is for your reference.

Measure_PrevMonthSales =
CALCULATE ( [Measure_TotalSales], PREVIOUSMONTH ( 'DateTable'[Date] ) )

Measure_PrevMonthSales =
CALCULATE ( [Measure_TotalSales], DATEADD ( 'DateTable'[Date], -1, MONTH ) )

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, if one is stuck using Excel 2010 (in which the CALENDAR function is not available), how can you get PREVIOUSMONTH to work? I also made my own date table, in which all the dates are of the date data type, but PREVIOUSMONTH doesn't seem to work.

@Sandeep_PBI

Can you share the data model,sample data and expected output to probe further.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.