Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX: Pivot table with multiple values.

I have a table as below

Emp ID   |Managers  |Roles

ABUnit head
ACBiz HR
ADBiz HR
AEBiz HR
AFOps Controller
AGBiz HR Manager
AHBudget Approver

Using DAX how can we pivot this table as below output

Emp ID |Unit Head |Biz HR 1 |Biz HR 2 |Biz HR 3|Ops Controller |Biz HR Manager |Budget Appover

A          B                C             D             E             F                       G                         H

Any help please 

Mohan V

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB I got the solution buddy,

To get the ranks i tried the below dax,

Capture1.JPG

And then i pivoted the table using below dax,

Capture1.JPG

The only issue with this workaround is, each time i have manually add the column for the n no of emp id's

And i tried your dax, sorry, it didnt worked, the Ranks2 column is what the output in above image 

Thanks,

Mohan V

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

I think you need to use the Pivot/Unpivot features in the query editor for that, rather than DAX

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB thanks for the reply.

Well, thanks for the suggestion, but i cant use the power query,
Because my data model is SSAS, sql server 2016 enterprise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB I tried this,

Newtable = 
    SUMMARIZE('Table1','Table1'[Emp ID],
        "Ops Controller",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),'Table1'[Role]="Ops Controller"),
        "Biz HR Manager",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),'Table1'[Role]="Biz HR Manager"),
        "Budget Approver",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),'Table1'[Role]="Budget Approver"),
         "Unit head",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),'Table1'[Role]="Unit head"),
         "Biz HR",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),'Table1'[Role]="Biz HR")
        )

Output:- 
Capture.JPG

But the values in biz hr are getting only one value.
Any suggestion

Hi @Anonymous

What would the desired output be in your example if  A had as Budget Approvers H and J instead of only H?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Same issue with Biz Hr also.

Is it possible to create columns as Biz Hr 1, Biz Hr 2, Biz Hr 3, and values as 

Emp ID  | Biz Hr 1 |Biz Hr 2 |Biz Hr 3

A             C            D           E

@Anonymous

Hmmm, this looks tough to do without looping instructions like the ones you have in other programming languages

Is Biz Hr the only role that can have more than one manager? Is it always three as in your example or does it vary?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB Yes, This may vary, as for each employee there can be any no of Biz hrs, Unit Heads, Ops Controller etc from 1 to n.

Can it be done in this way as,

I have created a column as Role Values using Switch, which i am defining values to each role.

Role Values = SWITCH(TRUE(),
Table1[Role]="Unit head",1,
Table1[Role]="Biz HR",2,
Table1[Role]="Ops Controller",3,
Table1[Role]="Biz HR Manager",4,
Table1[Role]="Budget Approver",5)

Then i am creating a column which will define ranks based on this column for each employee.
I tried the below dax.

Ranks = 
    RANKX(
        'Table1',
        'Table1'[Role Values],
        ASC,
        Dense
        )

But getting output as below,

Capture1.JPG

Can it be like

Emp ID   |Manager |Role                     |RoleValues |Ranks

ABUnit head11
ACBiz HR21
ADBiz HR22
AEBiz HR23
AFOps Controller31
AGBiz HR Manager41
AHBudget Approver51

By using these ranks, i can pivot the table even though if i have multiple id's for each role.

Is it possible. Any suggestion??

Regards,

Mohan V

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB Updated DAX for Ranks,

CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Role]),
        FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[Role],Table1[Emp ID]),
        Table1[Role]<=EARLIER(Table1[Role]
        )))

Output:
Capture1.JPG

Hi @Anonymous

But your last update does not yield what you were looking for, does it?

Try the following. I am curious as to what the next step is. Let me know

Table1[Ranks] =
RANKX (
    CALCULATETABLE ( 'Table1'; ALL ( 'Table1'[Managers] ) );
    'Table1'[Managers];
    ;
    ASC
)

Or this, which gets you the same but with 3,2,1 for Biz HR as shown instead of 1,2,3 (I guess it does not matter)

Table1[Ranks] =
RANKX (
    CALCULATETABLE ( 'Table1'; ALL ( 'Table1'[Managers] ) );
    'Table1'[Managers]
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB I got the solution buddy,

To get the ranks i tried the below dax,

Capture1.JPG

And then i pivoted the table using below dax,

Capture1.JPG

The only issue with this workaround is, each time i have manually add the column for the n no of emp id's

And i tried your dax, sorry, it didnt worked, the Ranks2 column is what the output in above image 

Thanks,

Mohan V

@Anonymous

I guess I have to defend my reputation here Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

My DAX works. I tested it. I think it doesn't work on your test because you have the column you added, Ranks, in the table and that affects the context transition that my code relies on. If you remove your Ranks columns it should work.

In any case, can you please post the final DAX code for the pivoting  in text rather than on an image? I'd like to look a bit further into it

Best 

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AlB

Here is the dax,

Newtable = 
    SUMMARIZE('Table1','Table1'[Emp ID],
        "Ops Controller1",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Role]="Ops Controller" && Table1[Ranks]=1)),
        "Ops Controller2",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Role]="Ops Controller" && Table1[Ranks]=2)),
        "Biz HR Manager1",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Role]="Biz HR Manager" && Table1[Ranks]=1)),
        "Biz HR Manager2",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Role]="Biz HR Manager" && Table1[Ranks]=2)),
        "Budget Approver",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),'Table1'[Role]="Budget Approver"),
         "Unit head",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),'Table1'[Role]="Unit head"),
         "Biz HR1",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],1),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Role]="Biz HR" && Table1[Ranks]=1)),
         "Biz HR2",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],2),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Role]="Biz HR" && Table1[Ranks]=2)),
         "Biz HR3",CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table1'[Manager],2),FILTER(Table1,'Table1'[Role]="Biz HR" && Table1[Ranks]=3))
        )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.