Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

don_writer
Helper II
Helper II

DAX - Multivariate Slicers or whatever the kids are calling it these days

Hi gurus,

I am certain this is a thing but I wasn't certain what I would search under. If it is a thing please link the solution and I can possibly rename the title of the ask. If its not a thing, (and I'd be shocked) maybe I just named it 🙂

Anyway, onto my thing...

I have a separation table with ID, date_separation, reason

• The reason comes in five flavors: 
    Involuntary - Death
  • Involuntary - Retirement
  • Involuntary - Other
  • Voluntray - Retirement
  • Voluntary - Other

My stakeholders was a slicer that selects out:

• Death
  • Involuntary Excluding Retirement (everything but retirement)
  • All Intoluntary together
  • Volumtary excluding Retirement
  • All Voluntary together

So if I had a table that looked like this:

IDDate_SeparationReason
18/31/2018Involuntary - Death
29/1/2018Involuntary - Retirment
39/2/2018Involuntary - Other
49/3/2018Voluntary - Retirement
59/4/2018Voluntary - Other
69/5/2018Involuntary - Other
79/6/2018Voluntary - Retirement
89/7/2018Voluntary - Retirement
99/8/2018Voluntary - Retirement
109/9/2018Involuntary - Death
119/10/2018Involuntary - Other
129/11/2018Voluntary - Retirement
139/12/2018Involuntary - Other
149/13/2018Involuntary - Other
159/14/2018Voluntary - Retirement
169/15/2018Voluntary - Retirement
179/16/2018Involuntary - Retirment
189/17/2018Involuntary - Retirment
199/18/2018Voluntary - Retirement
209/19/2018Involuntary - Other
219/20/2018Involuntary - Other
229/21/2018Involuntary - Retirment
239/22/2018Involuntary - Other
249/23/2018Voluntary - Other
259/24/2018Involuntary - Other
269/25/2018Voluntary - Other
279/26/2018Involuntary - Retirment
289/27/2018Involuntary - Other
299/28/2018Involuntary - Retirment
309/29/2018Voluntary - Other
319/30/2018Involuntary - Other
3210/1/2018Involuntary - Other
3310/2/2018Involuntary - Retirment

And I selected one of the below slicers I'd get the number of records shown here:

• Death :  1 in August, 1 in September, none in October
  • Involuntary Excluding Retirement (everything but retirement) : none in August, 6 in September, 1 in October
  • All Involuntary together : 1 in August, 18 in September, 2 in October
  • Voluntary excluding Retirement : none in August, 4 in September, none in October
  • All Voluntary together : none in August, 12 in September, none in October

As the title suggests I'd like to use DAX. I'm certain it has something to do with maybe a switch and/or If then statement on a New Column but since two slicer options have to include another slicer option I am uncertain how I'd go about this (and I have been staring at it too long.)

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

~Don

3 REPLIES 3
LaurentCouartou
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Is this what you are looking for ?
https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/11/21/power-bi-using-a-slicer-to-show-different-measures/

However, you may also consider the use of bookmarks and filters.

Thanks for your input.

I don't think this would be a selection of measures (but I could be wrong). I've used dynamic measures before and I can't think how that would work in this scenario. (and I don't want separate buttons, rather a drop-down).

With the measures what would I do? Create five different fields that identify if requirements are met? Option A, B, C, D, E columns? Then make a table that somehow references those separate columns? I feel like I am missing some crucial part.

Edit: Oh, I was also thinking I could somehoe use the SELECTEDVALUE function or something similar but not quite there yet.

Best regards,

Don

The reason you cannot use a regular slicer/filter here, is because, a row can normally only be associated with one category. In your example, however, "Involuntary - Death" belongs to several categories.

There is no DAX around that, unless you either
1 - build a model that lets you associate one row with several rows in you filter table : 
           https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/many-to-many-relationships-in-power-bi-and-excel-2016/
2 - or add a filter table has no relationship with the table you have to filter and write the DAX that lets you SWITCH between different behaviors: 
          https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/11/21/power-bi-using-a-slicer-to-show-different-measures/

Option 2 is the option you were alluding to, as I understand it. (Option 1, while an obvious fit in this case, also has pitfalls).

The article I mentioned above shows you how to add a table to your model and then use SWITCH to alter the behavior of a measure depending on your selection (on this table).

Say you add a new table FilterTable to your model (no relationship with anyother table). You can then write a measure that looks  like this :

Display measure = SWITCH( SELECTEDVALUE(FilterTable[Reason category]))
     , BLANK(), BLANK()
     , "Involuntary Excluding Retirement (everything but retirement)"
          , CALCULATE( [Base measure], 
                , MainTable[Reason] IN {{"Involuntary - Death"}, {"Involuntary - Death"}}
	)
     , "All Voluntary together"
          , CALCULATE( [Base measure], 
                , MainTable[Reason] IN {{"Involuntary - Death"}, {"Involuntary - Death"}}
	)
     , ...
)

Notes:
 I added SELECTEDVALUE in the example, but it is the same idea as in the article I mentioned. 
SELECTEDVALUE returns BLANK when you have no selection (or no value in your selection). This must be tested (first row in the selection).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.