Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Measure - distinct count of YTD # of Customers with an condition on YTD revenue different than 0

Dear PowerBI experts,

after days spent on this forum and visited hundreds of other web resources I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer able to sort out my issue by myself, hence badly need your support in my project. The case is: have to somehow build a measure that counts distinct # of Customers from YTD perpective with an additional condition that only those Cusotmers should be counted with revenue different than 0 in the same period of time (YTD as well).

So far I've made two steps so far which works like a charm:

Step1CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( FactTM1[Customer] ) ) - this one calculates all distinct Customers from the database

Step2CALCULATE ( [Step1], ALL ( DimCalendar )DATESYTD ( DimCalendar[Date] ) ) - this one add YTD context to the Step1

Step3 = ??? - missing part, I have no clue how to add a condition here with sth like that: "calculate pool of customers from Step2 with a prerequisite of YTD revenue different than 0". Of course I've got a separate measure for YTD revenue:

YTD_USD = CALCULATE (SUM(FactTM1[Revenue]), DATESYTD ( DimCalendar[Date] ), ALL ( DimCalendar ))

so initially I thought of sth like this for Step3: = CALCULATE([Step2], YTD_USD<>0) but the PowerBI displays: "A function 'CALCULATE' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed."

Got lost & stucked there, so desperately looking for any form of help here. Anyone? 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

FYI that you don't need the CALCULATE around your Step 1 measure.  Please try this expression to get your desired result.

Customers with Sales YTD =
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER (
            VALUES ( FactTM1[Customer] ),
            CALCULATE (
                SUM ( FactTM1[Revenue] )
            ) > 0
        )
    ),
    ALL ( DimCalendar ),
    DATESYTD ( DimCalendar[Date] )
)

You may not need the ALL in there, so you can try w/o that too.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try these measures

Revenue = sum(data[rev])

YTD revenue = calculate([revenue],datesytd(DimCalendar[Date],"31/12"))

Measure = countrows(filter(values(data[Customer code]),[YTD revenue]>0))

To your visual ensure that you drag Month/Year from the calendar visual.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ashish,

unfortunately your solution does not display correct values but still thank you for involvement here, appreciated! Glad that Pat's solution works!:)

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

FYI that you don't need the CALCULATE around your Step 1 measure.  Please try this expression to get your desired result.

Customers with Sales YTD =
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER (
            VALUES ( FactTM1[Customer] ),
            CALCULATE (
                SUM ( FactTM1[Revenue] )
            ) > 0
        )
    ),
    ALL ( DimCalendar ),
    DATESYTD ( DimCalendar[Date] )
)

You may not need the ALL in there, so you can try w/o that too.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat,

jeeeeez, couldn't figure this out by myself so thanks a million, truly appreciate it! Works like a charm now! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.