Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shamatix
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

DAX: Measure, a single value for column in table cannot be determined

Hey fellow users of power bi,

I figured out my first issue but now I have a second issue:P

I have 3 tables and 2 bridge tables, table A,B and C and Bridge D and E

Table A has a relation ship to table B using a bridge table D and Table B has a relation ship to C with using a bridgetable E.

I am trying to create a mesure in table A and I need values frmo table E, how does one do this?

Best regards

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not much to go on here but generally you use something like RELATED or RELATEDTABLE in a measure calculation. Sample data would allow us to recreate it and provide a more useful response.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks, I actually managed to figure out with some help^^ Got a 3 new questions for ya tho:P

If I have a measure which uses average and is working great and as intended, is it possible to have the SUM shown at the bottom instead of the average in those bold numbers of the table?

Second question is the following: How can I easily create a slicer with following values:
January - February
March - April
May - June
Juli - August
September - October
November - December

So there is 2x months in each "select", I have found a solution but it involves creating 2x dublicates of my date column, one where I transform the date name and replace january with January - February and february with January - February etc etc and then the second column I transform into month ID so I can sort it correctly, but then I also have to replace month id 2 with 1 month id 4 with 3 etc etc and this isnt a pretty solution in my eyes, but it works.

Last question is:
I have a table and I want to add a new column with URLs to files on the computer, I have the fileNAME in another column and all the files are in the same directory, so somehow I have to make a custom column as a URL where it takes a value from another field and comebines it with the URL, is this possible and if so how?

Hi @Shamatix,

1. As the measure use the Average() aggregation, the total row in the same table visual cna't be set to use SUM aggregation. The work around is to create a measure return the SUM value then place it in another visual, and place those two visuals stay together.

2. You can try the Timeline slicer visual.

3. Assume URL and directory are stored in two columns, you can use CONCATENATE() function to combine those two columns.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I actually figured all of the above out, except for links, because my URL isnt a web URL but a URL to a local file like C:\users.....

Hi @Shamatix,

The local file path  C:\users..... can't be formatted as web URL actually. What's your real concern? Can you share some screenshots to elaborate the issue?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have another BI program, and I have a large report which I am converting to Power Bi, in one column in this table, there is a link to a PDF file in each row, I can press the link and it opens the file, the file is on a share and not a webpage, but I cant figure out how I can do this in pwoer bi.

Hi @Shamatix,

Currently, Power BI doesn't support to open a file by click file path. You can vote on this same idea: data category for local file (file://).

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.