Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Measure SUM Behavior Question

Hello,

I'm looking to understand the following behavior:

I have the following meaures:

Actual Hours SUM = SUM('Job Details'[ActualHours])
Actual Hours With Zero = VAR AH = SUM('Job Details'[ActualHours]) RETURN IF(AH = 0, 0, AH)

When I place these measures with a Date in a table as well as a slicer on the page, I get different side by side results.   

2019-05-30 10_35_17-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

Why does the Actual Hours With Zero Measure ignore the Week Ending slicer? The grand total is correct in both cases, but the table with the Actujal Hours With Zero measure is showing rows that I thought would be filtered out by the slicer?  The purpose of Actual Hours With Zero is to show a 0 in situations where there is no total (blank). 

5 REPLIES 5
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

In the second case your measure always returns a value so it will be shown, no matter what (it does override the filter, by design). You need blanks for the visual not to show anything for a specific date.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I thought the purpose of the slicer was to change the display context? Why would a measure override this?  Just looking to understand this.  How do you handle scenarios where you want to show 0 as a value instead of blank?  I can't filter the visual for zero values as it won't show 0 on days where it is 0.

What is the correct way to handle scenarios where you want to show a value as 0 instead of blank since a measure won't respect a filter.

In the previous screenshot, how would you show the value for a specific date (that's what I used the slicer for) when the value is blank but you want to show that as 0?

Hi @Anonymous 

It seems you may check 'Edit interactions' for the slicer.If the two visuals are filtered by the slicer.The slicer would change the visual when you use no matter which measures.

1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Hi @Anonymous 

It depends on the relationships.I would suggest you use WeekEnding Slicer table's week ending column in the table.

Reference:https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/bidirectional-relationships-and-ambiguity-in-dax/

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.